1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rush- Moving Pictures

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kjpollo, Jan 14, 2012.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I KNOW I should know better but in all honesty, what bass or basses did Geddy use to record this album and in particular the track Vital Signs?

I heard Vital Signs this afternoon and there was that little solo part and I love the tone he got.
    At that stage it probably would've used a Ric or his Jazz but I'm wondering if there is a definitive answer for that track.

2. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I think the whole album was played on a Fender jazz (which he found in a pawn shop) other than red barchetta which was his Ric. I could be wrong though....

3. Moving Pictures is about half and half Rick and Jazz. I think Vital Signs is the Jazz.
    To be honest the bass tracks are so drenched in effects (added after they were recorded) that it's difficult to tell the difference sometimes.
    Geddy also used both basses on Signals, but with a much clearer tone, and it's easy to hear the difference.

4. IMHO:

Tom Sawyer: JAZZ
    Red Barchetta: RIC
    YYZ: JAZZ
    Limelight: RIC
    The Camera Eye: RIC
    Witch Hunt: JAZZ
    Vital Signs: JAZZ

5. This, but I think Limelight is the Jazz.
    Most of the isolated bass tracks are on Youtube, it's easier to tell from.