Rush music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Feb 26, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It's really too bad it took me this long, but Rush is starting to catch on to me... I heard the overture from 2112, and it blew me away. I went on Napster and got some other Rush tunes, and then deleted them, so I can go out and actually BUY the CDs. (dowload bootlegs and hard to find stuff, buy the music of people you respect.) Closer to the Heart, Spirit of the Radio, and Working Man are the songs I've heard of, so those are the ones I got, and, damn, Rush kicks ass!

I was always into classic rock, but I was never really exposed to them. I guess the BP on Geddy they just did intrigued me, made me want to see what the fuss was all about. Now that I have, though, anyone have any suggestions for which albums I should get?
  2. Last year, Geddy produced and released a live composite album of their Best tours, called "Different Stages". If you want to hear a Live sampling of songs from almost all of their albums, this triple CD is your Best Bet.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, it's hard for me to say - i listen to all of their stuff so often, still, that it would be hard for me to pick.

yeah, different stages is a good "retrospective". "exit stage left" is also an excellent choice, especially if you are into the older stuff.

if you like rush at all, you have to own Moving Pictures - personally, i think it's probably the best album of all time, but i'm a pretty die-hard rush fan. :D it definitely has my favorite recorded bass tone ever. in fact, that album is the reason why i'm a bass player, more than any other album.

others that i still listen to often are...

a farewell to kings (studio album that has closer to the heart on it)
    permanent waves (studio album that has spirit of radio on it)
    moving pictures - oh, have i mentioned that already? ;)

power windows and hold your fire are excellent examples of geddy's wal-playin' days.

geez, though, i'd say, in all honesty, to get them all.

4. my favorites are hemispheres and caress of steel
  5. The only one I wouldn't get is "Roll the Bones"... You don't want to hear geddy rapping. It really honestly scared me. :D
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Get them all. :) Best first buys IMO are Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, my two favourites.
    As for live albums, I lean towards Different Stages. The 90's recorded stuff (CD 1 & 2) there is very good, but the '78 Hammersmith Odeon (third CD) live version of "Xanadu" is... enchanting. Totally amazing.

I never really appreciated most of 2112 (the opening kicks ass though), Power Windows, Caress of Steel or Test For Echo as much as some others (I think they are in fact pretty mediocre), but there are some brilliant tunes on them as well - as on any Rush album.
  7. I'm with JT and Oysterman.. get them all! And get Geddy's recent solo album "My Favorite Headache" and also Alex Lifeson's project from a few years back, "Victor", if you can track that down.. I know I'm one of the two or three people on the board who likes it, but I think it's a great record!
    And here's a link to the mother of all Rush MP3 archives:
  8. after hearing The Spirit Of Radio I got the 2 cassette compilation "Chronicles" in 1993 and really got into Geddy's playing. it covers their best known stuff from the early days up to 1989.
    I got Roll The Bones later....ugh- only listened to that about 3 times.
    I've just bought Geddy's solo album- I've got mixed views so far- great bass playing and bass tones and less cluttered drums than Rush, but still not sure about the songs........
  9. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    John, I can't believe you didn't mention "Hemispheres". ;) "LaVilla Strangiato" is probably my all time favorite tune.
  10. 2112
    Permanent Waves
    Moving Pictures
    Different Stages

The essential Rush....IMO :D
  11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I totally agree. "La villa strangiato" is a real masterpiece. Don't miss it! Other favorites are "Tom Sawyer", "Limelight", "YYZ" :cool: from "Moving pictures", "The spirit of radio" from "Permanent waves" although i prefer the "Exit...stage left" version (The YYZ version included in "Exit..." features Neil Peart at his best). Also "Bastille day" from "Caress of steel" but again, the version from "All the world's a stage" is better to me. I like its raw, crude sound.

To me, the best buyings on Rush are:

- Chronicles (2 CD set). A great compilation.
    - 2112. It has the complete work in its original version.
    - All the world's a stage.
    - Moving pictures. Includes the original version of YYZ. (It's not on "Chronicles"). Besides, this album is the band's magnum opus.
    - Exit...stage left.
    -Different stages (3CD set). This album proves the band's authenticity and honesty: There are many mistakes that weren't fixed, most notable the mini-section from "YYZ" that serves as a bridge between the intro and the theme.( It's terrible!)

I'm not a fan of post-"Exit..." Rush. The keyboards dominated their music and this dissapointed me. With "Counterparts" they returned to their Marshall stack sound, but it wasn't the same to me. I think that "Counterparts" and "Test for echo" are very overproduced albums :eek:. Of course, there are great songs like "Leave that thing alone" or "Driven", but this is not enough to include these records in my collection. "Different stages" fills the void adequately. Anyway, no matter the band's trends, GEDDY LEE RULES. :)
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I used to be a huge Rush fan. There's something I'm surprised noone has pointed out here yet. Rush underwent some pretty big changes throughout their music career. The first 4 albums are my favorite - then things began to change. Hemispheres is the last Rush album I bought that I actually spent any time listening too.

You said you were a classic rock fan and were blown away by 2112. My guess is you'll probably enjoy the earlier stuff (Rush, Caress of Steel, Fly By Night, 2112 - and of course the 1st live one). I think they had heart and balls back then, then IMO became a heartless technical "watch what I can do" band. I feel like the stuff they recorded in the last ten years or more is the coldest music I've ever heard. Geddy is a phenomenal bass player, nobody could ever argue that, but the music just seems downright cold and pretentious to me. I went from loving the band (saw them in concert more than any other band), to not even being able to listen to them. I still have an unopened album that was given to me as a gift back when albums were still around. Don't even know the name of it or care to.

Sorry newer Rush fans. Just my opinion.
  13. I like Test for Echo a lot. I really got into after viewing Neil Peart's video, A Work in Progress. He plays along to all the tunes on T4E and explains his technique for each tune and some of what went into each one from the other guys. It's their best album in years.

Having said that, my list above is still their best stuff to me....especially Hemispheres. That one's dynamite.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get 'em all!

Start with the Chronicles double CD.

You will also need to get Moving Pictures, Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings and Power Windows pretty quickly.

Then you will need Fly By Night, 2112, Caress of Steel, Rush and Grace Under Pressure.

Then gradually get everything else.

I still need to get Different Stages, but other than that, my collection is complete - that is, until the next album comes out!:)
  15. In case no one's mentioned it yet, I think you should get them all. ;) :p

Not sure if anyone has a least favorite Rush album. For me it's Counterparts. It's got some really good songs on it but some real duds too. Can any Rush fan say that "Between Sun and Moon", The Speed of Love", "Cut to the Chase', or "Alien Shore" is their favrite tune? ;)
    :end rant:

Otherwise, with a few minor exceptions, every tune on every album is awesome!
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wouldn't get chronicles, only because there's nothing on it that isn't on the studio and live releases - it'll end up being a waste of money, because i'll bet that you will end up getting all the studio albums anyway, or at least most of them.

i have a few of the albums on 4 different formats - cd, vinyl, cassette and 8-track (somewhere around here). god, talk about rabid. :D
  17. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    8-tracks? I remember hearing about those in history class... ;)

Thanks for all the tips guys. Apparantly I'll end up buying them all, it's just a matter of the order now...
  18. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    8-tracks? I remember hearing about those in history class... ;)
    Thanks for all the tips guys. Apparantly I'll end up buying them all, it's just a matter of the order now...
  19. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    join Clolumbia House and get them all for a penny like I did. :D

I have them all up to and including Power Windows. After that, I could take no more.
  20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Read the lyrics too.The story told in 2112 is just too cool.Id like to know where some songwriters get their inspiration from to write stuff like this.Not only are they great musicians,theyre great songwriters as well.