Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush - prime mover. Is it drop-D? Two bass?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Mr M, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Hi,

My first Rush song I'm trying to play so far (wow, those are wasted years). The tabs I've found are all transcribed in standard tuning but I'm almost sure that Geddy plays a low D at chorus part (the funny melodic part, I mean). Does he drop E to D, or am I wrong?

And also at that chorus part, there is one bass playing whole notes at lower side (which I hear that low D) and another one, playing melody at higher (beginning with high D (D string 12th fret)). This lower notes should continue to ring a little bit over the melody. I guess he recorded in two parts, am I right? What he does while playing live? The only solution that came my mind is two hand tapping but, it's difficult to get clear notes for me..

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    The chorus part you are referring to is a synth, not an actual bass. Geddy didn't drop-tune his instrument.

Alik likes this.
  3. Thanks. That was the reply I was asking (I was curious if he drop-tunes his instrument)

4. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    In some instances, more recently, he has drop-tuned his bass for specific purposes ("Driven", for example). But in that particular case I believe the above reply is correct.

5. +1, definitely drop tuning on some of the Counterparts record.

Remember though, just cause Geddy played it one way doesn't mean you have to as well - you can play it however you want...

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I play it in E standard tuning, as he did, and I play it with just one bass, as he did.

They played it on the Hold Your Fire Tour.

7. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    I don't think so - however, in the Test For Echo album there's some detuning going on, (Driven, TFE), and in live situations (i.e. 2112 played in D instead of E)