Rush Retrospective

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jan 18, 2003.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Been reading Neal Peart's latest book, Ghost Rider(great read BTW), and have been getting back into a Rush phase again. I was looking over my Retrospective 1 album and noticed again that the song "Working Man" is missing. Why would they leave this classic off?!

The only reason I can guess it's omission is that their original drummer must have received credit for writing this song. That way, the rest of the band wouldn't have to pay royalties on the sale of this "greatest hits" album.

Anybody have the debut Rush album from 1974? Tell me if John Rutsey receives any credit for "Working Man". Thanks!
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    First of all, I'd like to say good for you, for getting back into Rush. I'm pretty sure John has absolutely nothing to do with the band anymore. After leaving a heated argument that lead his him quiting. He just played the drums, no writing was done by him (man it must suck leaving a band and getting replaced by someone like Neil Peart....Ouch!). But as for song selection on the hits albums, the members of Rush have nothing to do with it. They also recieve nothing for the sales of these albums, it's purely record label. That's why I do not own any of them.

Check out their Signals album for some great bass playing by Geddy.
  3. I've got the Rush "Chronicles" double-cassette compilation (covering 1974 to 1990 or thereabouts).

"Working man" and "finding my way" are both on it- credits Lee/Lifeson.