1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rush - Seven cities of gold; unplayable?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JetBlackJazz, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    agree

2. Anyone else?

3. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    I think it is playable but it would take A LOT of skill to pull it off even a little bit of it... (that means I can't even play one note from that song :smug:)

4. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    (listening to it now)

The first 30 seconds sound very Primusy, which is convenient since a friend of mine is getting me into Rush and I'm trying to get him into Primus. I think I've got the tougher end of that deal.

5. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Demanding, aren't we? LOL

I think there's a point of diminishing returns. By that I mean it takes 10X as much time to learn the last 20% as it does to learn the first 80%...
    Kudos to you for trying it. I think the audience that appreciates it will appreciate it just as much if you get 80% or 95% -- unless they are musicians. And in my town, gig audiences are about 1% musicians :)

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I only got to around a minute, I still have to get that record, but I would not call that unplayable, I have seen plenty of players nail YYZ, this can be done much easier.

7. Well good luck with that...

Soundclips of attempts anyone?

8. The beginning of the song and some parts in between could be pulled of with a pick maybe (since Geddy has that Flamenco thing happening). But this whole darn album has a lot going on with the bass lines. Still amazed how thes guys pushed the envelope even further. Simply amazing.

9. Exactly

10. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    The other Rush song that falls into this catergory is Earthshine from the Vapor Trails album.

11. Bruins29

Bruins29

Jun 7, 2009
    Chicago
    Nothing is unplayable. Guys here have ripped up Nitti, Wooten, Manring etc...Ged isnt even in the category of these guys.

12. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Dammit, I wish I had headphones and it wasn't a 2 AM. Still can't imagine it being any harder than YYZ. The entire purpose of YYZ was to be as bat**** crazy as possible.

13. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Awesome song. I gotta get that album!

14. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Agree, even though I find YYZ and most of what Geddy plays "unplayable", well for my part... :)
    But the intro of Seven Cities Of Gold is easier then YYZ.

15. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I have never seen Geddy with a pic but I would bet my right nut and $20 that's a pick not fingernails or whatever. I play with a pick and fingers and the attack and everything says pick in that beginning. With a pick that would be pretty simple to do with muting of the left hand and grinding with the right. There is NOTHING wrong with playing with a pick and if indeed that’s what he is doing it’s for the tone and attack.

I know how ridiculous of a killer player he is and knowing him it's just how good he is and how he can get anything out of a bass with his fingers.

16. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    It is a studio version, he can try to play this intro 100 times if needed. His flamenco style technique has evolved over the years, so I think he can/ could do it, at least in studio.
    I think as you say the attack etc sound like a pick, but still it sound just Geddy's finger style minus fret noise from his flamenco style. The fret/ string sound can be handled in the studio take.

17. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I dont think anything is "unplayable". If you put in the time to break it down, transcribe it and practice it (granted that may be a little while depending on your skill level) it can be done. I saw a rock doc where Neil said after he took time off from playing he had to listen to the recordings to relearn his own licks "exactly".

18. You're right, because Geddy is better...roight?

19. Not to bust your postulations, but that's his flamenco technique. He talks about it in some far away interview.