Rush songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JoseNeville, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Hi guys!

I know that many of you are real fans of RUSH. I'm making a new band.

I want to play some RUSH songs, that doesn't need key. I was thinking in:
    1. limelight
    2. red barchetta
    3. freewill
    4. the spirt of radio

Give me some ideas (songs).

Jose Neville
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LMAO!!!!! I'm jamming with 3 other guys (Me guitar, vocal & drums )& we do those 4 songs.

We also play Fly by Night, The Trees & part I & II of 2112 with out the Keys intro
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    We tried doing that song but it's hard (for us). Also, their are alot of keys in it but the 2nd guitarist should be able to do those key parts.
  5. Thanks Nino!!!
    I like the trees and yyz, maybe we can do using 2 guitars.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Spirit Of Radio has some synth parts in it, but with two guitars you should be able to pull it off. How about Closer To The Heart? There's one little part with bells/chimes/whatever they're called though.
  7. and_Justice

Jan 14, 2000
    Could go with Tom Sawyer. One Little Victory would be cool!
  8. just do the keys an octave higher w/ synth(or guitar could do it) For Tom Sawyer...people would go crazy:)
  9. If you can pull it up, go with ONE LITTLE VICTORY. You'll win over anyone with that number.

Right now, if I was in a band playing Rush covers, I would go with:

2112 Part 1 and 2
    The Trees
    Red Barchetta
    Fly By Night
    Working Man
    Closer To The Heart (with a improvised and harder ending, like they do it live)

In that order. I would love to play other songs as well, but those require keys.

Good luck with all this, man!
  10. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Try La Villa Strangiato off of "Hemispheres". Its an instrumental that is a real chops buster. I played this tune in a band in the 80's. I also played Xanadu and Farewell to Kings. We had two guitars, bass (I also played the Bass pedals) keys and drums. Fun band.
  11. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Great lists, I would also consider adding:

La Villa Strangiato
    Finding My Way
    (cuz it's bluesy :D)

And on those really fun nights when the whole crowd is getting into it, the entire Caress Of Steel album.

That's my contribution!

12. Thanks Guys!!!!!

This is a great list!!!
    All the songs are great , so I have my hands FULL.

13. Yeah, my band try's it many times, but we rarely get past the intro. But it would be fun playing it at a dance and watching people fall down and flail aroundn trying to stay in time.
  14. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    PLEASE play Working Man. Our band was going to play it but the 2nd guitarist does'nt want to :mad: that song!
  15. How about "Analog Kid"?

It has some rocking bass and guitar parts and the guitar solo, as I recall, is pretty cool. There are some keyboard parts but I bet you could get it to sound real good without them.
  16. I like Analog kid too, has a terrific bass line.
  17. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    by far the best rush album! bastille day would be a good song to cover, its pretty popular since it was reintroduced with chronicles. lakeside park is also a good song to cover. or play off of counterparts, leave that thing alone has a really fun bassline and animate is pretty cool too. covering rush... i dunno i dont see where the crowd would get into it, theres not alot of rush fans outside of the musically inclined community. very sad indeed, even the critics hate em. i even read a chris squire vs. geddy lee article where they said that geddy doesnt even come near chris' level of playing and that compared to chris geddy isnt much of anything interesting.
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    You can play Tom Sawyer without keys: use some fuzz and flanger on the bass for the intro and chorus keyboard part, and some fuzz on the bass for the bridge keyboard part - you'll have to play that riff an octave down but it still sounds OK. Or if you get an octave-up fuzz that might work. It's also doable at the original octave w/ a 6-string 24-fret bass.
  19. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I also vote Analog Kid (and YYZ)
  20. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    we do YYZ, Natural Science and La Villa so far.
    (Also doing Red Sector A, blasphemy huh?)
    Presently working on Cygnus X-1, is that not the funkiest Rush tune yet?