1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rush - Subdivisions isolated bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Not sure if this has been posted before, but here 'tis.

Rush - Subdivisions (Isolated Bass Track) - YouTube

Quite restrained for Geddy, but punctuated with some stunning runs and, in my opinion, his finest studio-captured Rick tone.

For those unfamiliar with the song, the bass is absent for a lot of the song when the keyboards are taking centre stage. You can hear the Rick at 1:40 - 2:17, 3:32 - 3:59, and 4:18 onwards.

2. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow, that bass sounded awesome! And I'm not even a big fan of Signals! I wish Geddy would still use that Rickenbacker! He had the greatest tone ever with it.

3. There are a bunch of isolated Geddy bass clips on YT. You can really sense how hard he hits thos strings and the difference between how it sounds isolated compared to how it sits in the mix....awesome either wayl.

4. my favorite tone on the album would definitely have to be Countdown

5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Cool! Its cool to hear the synth bass clearer too.

6. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Signals is one of my favourite albums. RUSH performed the best rendition of Subdivisions I've ever heard at their Time Machine concert recently. It was amazing. I was nearly moved to tears.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm far from an expert (and I'm sure someone here will correct me!), but didn't Geddy do most of his recording with his Jazz bass? I was under the impression that he used the Rick live, mostly.

8. No, Geddy used both basses (Ric, Jazz) on Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals.

Fly By Night-Hemispheres was all Rickenbacker, Grace was a Steinberger, Power Windows-Roll the Bones was a Wal. He's used a jazz exclusively since Counterparts.
    The first album was a Precision.

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Most of his recording for what...all albums or just Signals? He was using the Jazz and Ric during this period. The following album he used the Steinberger then the Wal.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was under the impression he recorded with the Jazz from Permanent Waves onward and used his other basses live.

But, as I said, I'm no expert.

11. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    I feel like these "isolated bass" tracks always distort the actual original sound. Seems like it is good to clearly hear the actual notes, but I think when the other volumes are dropped down something is lost in the bass, too. I could be wrong, and am asking if I am.

Are these "isolated" renditions basically just that - other frequencies dropped, leaving the bass, or most of it? It's not like someone got the masters and put up the clean bass tracks, right? I guess what I'm asking is how accurate the sound ends up being.... seems to me he has less twang, more smooth sound when you can hear the bass clearly alone without needing 'isolation,' such as solos on Exit... Stage Left.

12. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    First album - Fender P
    2nd - 4th - Fender P and Various Rics
    5th (live) - Ric
    6th and 7th I believe were all Rics
    8th, 9th, 10th (live) and 11th - all combinations of the Jazz and the Ric
    12th - Steinberger
    13th, 14th, 15th (live) 16th and 17th all Wal Bass
    18th - to the present - Fender Jazz

13. +1

14. Is this ripped from a game like the other isolated bass tracks? I didn't know this track was out there.

15. Me too.

16. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    During the two fills he makes that Rick sing like no other. Never been too keen on synth bass, but Ged never ceases to amaze me.

17. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I was told Signals saw his only use of his Rickenbacker 4002 (versus the usual 4001) and is the last record with a Ric on it.

18. The only use the P got after the first album was some live stuff and the By-Tor sounds.

19. The 4002 was apparently used on one track, Losing It.
    It doesn't really sound anything like the Subdivisions example, but the song is quite gentle and melacholy so I don't think that distorted clank would have been suitable. :)