1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RUSH - The Garden

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lijazz, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Firstly, Great song...This is one of my all time faves from the guys. For those of you who have listened to "The Garden", what do you make of the lyrics?

I was listening to it with my son last night and after the second listen my son so maturely said to me " It sounds like they are saying Goodbye". Now, I really hadn't given much thought to it on the first listen, but after he said that and another listen, I thought, well since it is a concept album it would make sense to end a story with a song such as this. But then I thought about the lyrics to Headlong Flight" as well and started to think what if the story of "Clockwork Angels is indeed the end to the story of Rush, a way of saying it's been a great long journey but we'll have to see how much longer the journey lasts.

God, I hate to think so morbidly, especially when I have been anticipating a 40th anniversary tour in 2014.

Does anyone else have any thoughts, or am I just being paranoid?

2. You are being paranoid. Alex recently said in an interview they will be making records till they die.

3. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Exit Stage Left

4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Yes, but how long will that be? These guys are getting old and you might as well start approaching every album as if it's your last.

Fact is, that's probably a good thing to do regardless of your age.

Also, to me the whole album seems to be an expression of coming to terms with losing ones faith and making sense of the meaning of life without it. The Garden sounds less atheistic than the others and almost seems to be an acceptance of the possible existence of God and wondering what his role is in the realm of time. But then, I'm a person of faith and I'm prone to believing in such things in what I read.

Also-also, this is my favorite Rush song of all time and I consider it a masterpiece.

5. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    I personally think they've got another few albums in them if they don't leave 5 years between each like they have before. Then again, they're not getting any older and anything could happen. I don't see the point of thinking so morbidly, just think that you're lucky everytime they make a new album or go on another tour. I hope I can see them before they call it quits, I live in Australia so it's not likely... Just think how lucky you are :)

6. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    " The Hours Tick By"..Im on my 3rd listen, and this song is beyond Great.

7. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    They have a huge, fiercely loyal fanbase (which is international). They are still young looking. They are still awesome musicians who have not lost any relevance despite the changing fads in music. They never became a “greatest hits” band with only 1 or 2 original members playing cruise ships and county fairs…and last but not least, if crushing and horrific personal misfortune has not stopped this band…nothing will. I am convinced of it. Why quit when you are at the top of your game?

8. My post was just a contemplation based on the lyrics, but if you listen to one of the intervies from yesterday (no link right now, but you can find it on RushRadio.org) Geddy clearly says that they are playing better now than ever, but he knows that eventually the day will come when they just cannot physically do it anymore.

That being said, being part of their fan base since 1980 I am hopeful that those days will not arrive any time soon, or at least not before they can pull off a 40th Anniversary Tour. But it would be dismissing reality for me, or anyone else, to assume that they will continue into their 70s, which is little more than 10 years away.

Like all great things in life, we must enjoy while we can.

9. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I will avoid such a sad topic as the eventual end of this band and speak to the song...... I said it before and I will say it again. What an amazingly well written and mature work of art. Truly one of their best ever!

10. Bruins29

Bruins29

Jun 7, 2009
    Chicago
    I will agree. As I stated in the CA thread The Garden is one of the best (emotional) songs they have ever written. Its pretty special then again Ged had a few gems on "My Favorite Headache" so I knew they had it in them.

11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    They always seem to end their albums with really introspective songs. A lot of them are my favorites - I made an iTunes playlist out of them once, not sure whether it was depressing or inspiring.

I think they have a little more left in them, and I expect that when they retire, they will clearly announce it and actually do it. Having said that, you can see the content of the lyrics changing and a lot of them now involve looking back on life rather than forward to it.

I'm with you guys - Rush has changed my life, no exaggeration. I will mourn on the day we lose Geddy Lee, whenever that may be. My wife is going to think I am truly silly.

12. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    If you look at other prolific musicians that really love their craft, they play until the end. Les Paul was still at it to 96.

BB King is still playing at, what, 100 years?;)

Jack Bruce is still touring.

I wonder if serious musicians can even bring themselves to retire.

I think the guys are like that too and will continue as long as their bodies allow them to.

13. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I just went back and listened to The Garden again. I don't get "goodbye" from it at all. What I hear is that Neil has nothing to prove to anyone now, and he has begun to understand what has been truly important in his life, but sadly only from the perspective of a man who has much more of it behind him than ahead of him. It is a little sad.

Now, "Headlong Flight" might be goodbye, but that's another thread.

14. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    In a world of nearly 20 years of garbage pop music, this song is a true masterpiece from one of the few groups/artists that have remained relevant. It is brilliant and soulful.

15. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    "The Garden" to me is merely the last song in the concept, where our hero looks back on his life and the adventures (good and bad) he had experienced, like working for the Carnies, the woman of Halo Effect (which is also a very good song) or confronting the Wreckers.

I feel it has everything to do with the storyline, not a goodbye from Rush.... Just my perception.

16. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    FYI, the walrus was Paul!

17. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I have a new theory.

The song is about the thoughts of a dying man, reflecting upon his life.

At 3:37, he dies.

The rest of the song represents his journey to the afterlife.

Go listen.

18. I agree that The Garden is one of the very best songs they've ever written, and that's saying a lot, especially due to the body of work they've put out, and the awesome songs they've produced. I don't think it's a "goodbye" thing other than in the context of the story. But I've been thinking lately about them touring. Geddy has said recently that he didn't know how much longer he could get out there night after night. It takes a toll on the body. I sure hope they go on touring and producing records for many years yet. I can certainly see them recording but maybe just not touring like they have been. And Will, you're not crazy. This band and Geddy in particular has made a huge impact on my life. I still play bass today due to these guys. So let's just pray and hope they stay healthy and live to ripe old ages.

19. Agreed, a huge impact for me as well, hope they can do it a while longer. But even when that time comes that they stop touring, I can be at total peace because I know that these guys are the most genuine people in music and they will know when it is time to stop. Best band ever.

20. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Love (love!) the song and I do not think its THEIR goodbye. They are enjoying the recent increase in popularity/mainstream media awareness (I love you man, Colbert, Beyond the Lighted Stage, etc), they are happy and playing great. I am surprised they are back on tour again already, but thats great IMO.