Rush v Tool

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BigLoopDuke, May 7, 2012.

1. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    First and foremost, I'm a huge Tool fan. I've been a fan since I caught them at Lollapolloza in the early 90's. But, the wait between albums kills me and I explore a lot of new/old music because of it.

I've been a light fan of Rush for a few years. Honestly, I always thought I missed the boat on that one, but recently, I've been exploring some of the back catalog and I'm blown away by much of it.

Mostly, I'm surprised by how closely Rush and Tool seem to align. Not completely thematically, but with progressions, production, some themes, etc. I'm currently exploring some of Rush's heavier stuff and am very excited by what I'm finding.

Any other Tool/Rush fans find common ground on the cross-over?

2. Bustabo23

Bustabo23

May 6, 2012
    Im a big Tool fan, not a rush fan thoug, i like Dream Theater more than rush, i like tool mostly becouse of their experimental style. I dont enjoy progressive rock that much as Progressive metal, symphony X, Cynic, Opeth, Dream Theater, and stuff

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'm a huge fan of both bands and own their full official discography (legally purchased). I think they are the nerdiest (in the good sense of the word) bands ever and actually have a hard time trying to decide which one deserves the #1 spot in that regard.

Here's a related short story that I want to share: Some time ago, I shared the "Schism" video on my Facebook wall expressing how much I like the band. A friend asked me something like "hey, what do you think of Dream Theater?", most likely thinking that I was going to fire a burst of praise. I said "you know, I admire and respect them as musicians, but I'm not a fan of their music and here's why: While both Tool and DT can create incredibly complex music, I've always felt that DT's creations are mostly born for the sake of 'look and hear what we can do'. On the other hand, Tool's music has a mysterious aura. Some kind of mysticism that takes you inside a deep hole from which you can't get out of (and don't want to either)".

Those are my feelings about Tool and DT. Besides, Adam Jones is the living proof that you don't have to be a virtuoso to create terrific, high-skilled music. Also, Justin Chancellor's bass tone is way cooler/more interesting than John Myung's (IMHO, YMMV, etc...).

(My apologies if I derailed the thread talking about Dream Theater instead of Rush. Just found it more interesting since I have nothing but praise toward both Rush and Tool)

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I love Tool, their sound is so organic, alive and complex at the same time. But what I've heard of Rush, and admitted it is not much, I find boring. I don't get Dream Theater at all, sounds like senseless technical wank to me.

5. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    I was a HUGE tool fan until I discovered ISIS, Intronaut, and bands like Russian Circles. Now they just seem kind of weak and not that creative - totally just my opinion and I still buy/plan on buying everything the release.

I can't listen to more than 2 minutes of Rush at a time without leaving the room or having to turn it off lol

6. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    A guy I work with loves Rush and he's kind of like a big brother to me, in a way. We're about 8 years apart in age and when we talk about music, Rush is to him as Tool is to me. I see a lot of parallels, but it seems like there is a generational divide.

I've tried to get into ISIS, but the heavy growling/screaming is something I can only appreciate in lesser doses. The music is very melodic and I can certainly appreciate it, but Maynard's voice is a huge factor in why I haven't made the leap.

I haven't listened to much of Intronaut or Russian Circles. I'll have to seek it out.

So, let me ask? For Tool fans - what are you listening to in the interim? I have tried Dream Theater and it's a little too "symphonic" for my tastes. I'm looking for other bands that are maybe a half-step from Tool.

As a side note, I haven't gotten much traction with any of the Tool side projects like A Perfect Circle or Puscifer.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    For those who find Rush "boring."

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    People always told me I'd love Tool because I love Rush. Didn't work out the way they said. Definitely respect, but I don't dig Tool's sound all that much.

9. I've been a Rush fan since the late 70's/early 80's and a Tool fan since I first heard 'Sober' in the early 90's. I share your opinion - there are a lot of parallels I think. Both bands blow me away with their originality and ingenuity. I've seen both bands live and was stunned by how amazing they both were in concert. As much as I love them both, I've never been a fan of the vocals in either band though, funny huh ?

10. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Same here, Rush is much more melodic then Tool. For me Tool is closer to Dream Theater then Rush. And DT is again very technical, well to the level it become boring....
    Rush is much closer to Yes and Genesis then to Tool.

11. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Funny, I find much more to compare between Rush and DT. Strangely enough, though I enjoy a lot of DT's music, I can't stand Labrie's voice or attitude. For some reason, I can listen to Geddy all week long... Ironic? I love TOOL... but IMO, they are in a category all their own. +1 to everything Alvaro said about TOOL.

12. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I personally would say I am a bigger Tool fan than Rush, but respect each for who and what they are. Perhaps because I was born in the mid-80's and grew up in the alternative, grunge, and rock era of the 90's I find myself leaning more towards Tool. Great music that was different back in the day and I always liked their music videos. Rush, of course I like all their hits, however I too never really hopped on that boat for a/the long ride as other have put it.

13. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Yep. With Tool you can feel the music; it does not come off as math-rock. For me Dream Theater is great as an opening act. 45 minutes is cool. But beyond that they get tedious.

Rush is awesome. Especially around the era of Hemispheres thru Subdivisions. And then, they nailed it again years later with Roll the Bones! I don't always dig Geddy's high screeching and his voice is starting to deteriorate anyway, but they are still great.

14. Wow!...only 12 posts so far on this to[ic and I must give praise to all of you. I agree completely with everything that has been said regarding Rush, Tool and the side issue of DT. Been a huge Rush fan since 1979 (my favorite band) and a big Tool fan since the early 90s. These are my two favorite bands of all time. As far as DT goes, can't really say anything different than what has already been stated. Great technical ability , but boring as all heck...and LaBrie is not a very good viocalist IMNSHO.

15. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Tool was a top-tier band for me until A Perfect Circle came into being. I have to admit that I find the more-structured song approach of APC more interesting to me than the most recent Tool stuff. Simply put, I'd rather have 13 well constructed songs on an album, than 4 good tunes and 9 tracks worth of babies farting, lightning sound effects, and cacophony. You can call it creativity all you want, but I simply don't get it.

16. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    You are supposed to have imbibed before putting on the Tool CD. lol

17. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Both bands early and most well known music feature a Rickenbacker bass. There's a parallel.

18. They are two of my favorite bands, by far.

19. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'm a fan of Tool.....I like their 'experimental' feel.

I'm a big fan of Rush.....Way too many reasons to list...

I'm an even bigger fan of Dream Theater.....

However.....as said by another poster in another thread......

Rush - Soul = Dream Theater

20. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I like both with Rush being my favorite band. The only parallels I see are that they can have complex rhythmic songs where drums/bass can take the lead more than traditional guitar driven rock. And the songs themselves are not just verse/chorus/verse/chorus etc.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021