Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush yyz live clip

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fleabee, Jan 22, 2006.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm not sure what is sadder.... Geddy's Mullet or the fact I had my hair the same way back then :rolleyes:

Amazing show, but I always thought Geddy sounded like he was struggling on the Wal the times I saw him live with it. It's an unforgiving tone.

2. i really dig the tone on the wal's but geddy plays like butter on the jazz basses since he basically used them from day 1 till present day...and i too rocked a mullet in lieu of alex lifeson

3. don't like the Wal sound he's got there... FAR too burpy and light. Sounds good on the more recent (for then) songs but it's just too cold for YYZ, 2112 and the like.

My 2 penneth.
    :bag:

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Ah yes, the late '80s... back then I had my hair like Alex's in this video.

I like Geddy's Wal tone (though maybe it is a little too light and burpy), but thank goodness Alex moved away from those Signature guitars. Those things just sounded so darn thin.

I have A Show Of Hands on VHS, and I think it's being released on DVD sometime this year. And on a related note, recently Alex finished up remixing the Exit Stage Left video in 5.1 and that's coming out in a couple months on DVD. Can't wait for that one as my old VHS copy from 1984 is very very very beat up!

5. I don't really like Geddy's tone. Alex's tone is decidedly 80s, but sounds pretty good regardless. And Neil still sounds like Neil, haha. Cool vid though. I guess nothing will ever beat Exit Stage Left, at least in my opinion. Everything sounded the way it should.

6. I think Alex mentioned something about the Grace Under Pressure DVD coming out as well this year, maybe as a boxed set with the Exit Stage Left.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Awesome vid! I just downloaded it to my iPod.

8. great...glad that to hear it.....google videos are great..just do a search

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    One of my fav videos ever.
    In fact, ASOH was the first Rush video I owned and that version of YYZ blew my mind (and still does). I guess I´ve watched that song more than a hundred times.

I "discovered" Rush during the 80´s so that sound results pretty familiar, and I gotta admit I like it to a certain degree.

There´s no doubt that the tone from his Wal is a bit thin, but the note articulation is the best one to fully understand what Geddy is playing.

Can´t wait to receive my R30 DVD :hyper:

10. Wow.. one of the videos that got me into rock music... amazing. I haven't seen that for a while. I spend hours on google video. I love it. *sigh*

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i would rate geddy as one of the best rock bass players, right up there with the ox. i just can't stand his voice. too darn nasaly.

...wait; maybe it matches his tone:bag:

BTW; what did geddy use to record? it always sounded like one of his jazzes to me.

12. That Turn the Page performance on ASOH is still one of the most impressive displays of coordination ever recorded. What an AWESOME bassline...!

Geddy would you pleeeeeeeeze just look at the fretboard ONCE?!

Absolutely ridiculous.

13. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    +1.
    It`s absolutely amazing.

14. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    my geddy has aged eh?

:bag:

15. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Good concert vid... lots of good cuts on this one. I remember renting it from my vid store like 10 years ago!

16. On my copy of the VHS (from years back!) there's a part in La Villa Strangiato (I think!) where they censor something that Alex is singing.

Anyone got any clues what it was he was saying?

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Quick question:
    What albums did Geddy record with the Wal on? I LOVE that tone.

18. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    "Power Windows", "Hold your Fire" and "Presto" (except "Show don´t tell") with his Black Wal.

"Roll the Bones" with his Red Wal.

+ 1 about his tone.

19. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Some good fills by Geddy, and one very original drum solo by Neil. Good find.