Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spearhead, May 27, 2001.

1. I just started getting into rush. They are spectacular. I remember hearing them a long time ago (before I played Bass) and I hated them because of the vocals but I really like em now. I was wondering though what your favorite album is?

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That's a tough one since I'm a Geddy/Rush freak.
    My fave is probably either Caress of Steel, Fly By Night, Permanent Waves, Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, RUSH, Test For Echo, Hemispheres, Power Windows, Signals, Hold Your Fire, Roll the Bones, 2112, Presto, or Counterparts.
    YEP! It's definitely one of those.

3. In order:
    Farewell to Kings
    Hemispheres
    Fly By Night
    Caress Of Steel
    1st
    Perment Waves
    Moving Pics.
    Signals

Pretty Much Stopped here.

I also have Test For Echos, Hold Your Fire, Power Windows and Presto but hardly listen to them, not that they are bad but it's not the Rush I grew up with.

4. Signals is my favorite.

5. I just picked up Different Stages Live and it's a great album but god, is the recording AWFUL it sounds like a bootleg! It's cool becasue it's got some of the new Rush songs (which are not as good) but without all that over- production that makes them suck on studio albums - it's just straight up playing, and it rocks.

My favorite albums haveto be All the World's a Stage, and Hemispheres, although Exit Stage Left always sends chills through me. Alex at his best, (and Geddy too!)

Oh Signals is a great one too!

So many!

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You reall think so??? :confused:

7. Yeah, i mean it's in stereo so it obviously isn't just someone with a mini-disc but it's REALLy crowd noise heavy and it sounds very muddy - like a concert when you are there with acoustics going crazy all over the place! But maybe that's a good thing. I mean it doesn't detract that much from the music, but I was surprised at the quality. Not the same for the 1978 disc but the two newer ones, I do think so.

You think they sound ok?

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I actually think this was the only decent live sound they've captured on a release. Exit...Stage Left sounded as if the bass was recorded live in the studio, the guitars not nearly loud enough, and the drumming somehow hodgepodged in there to give the bass some rythm.

I thought that All the Worlds a Stage sounded sterile, that the band was playing the notes well, but had no energy.

I thought that A Show of Hands proves that Digital is not necessarily better...talk about a brittle recording!

But, there are points you can hear 2 guitars on Different Stages...how many guitarists are in Rush?

9. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Rush's first CD is underrated and a great album IMO.
    Moving pictures and 2112 own too.

/lovebown

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    My favourite Rush?
    Toss-up between Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. But I have always thought that Rush write better songs than they do albums, if you know what I mean.

11. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I think some of the guitar might've been sampled and triggered live through the use of foot pedals.

12. I agree with Cole, sounds like looping to me.

The more i listen to Different Stages the more i like it. Even though I still think something is lost in the sound, i have to agree that the energy is much higher than in the other live albums - and not just because of crowd noise but the band seems really revved up, with slightly uptempo time and just wicked playing.

Is Geddy playing the Steinberger on those recordings anyone know?

13. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    nope, he used his '74 Jazz. he only used the Steinberger on "Grace Under Pressure".

(just to be a completist, he used a Ric on the disc from the "A Farewell to Kings" tour)

14. Only one, I read in an interview with Alex in GP that they put some of the guitar work i after the recording on stage. No samples just over dubbing after the fact. Kind of a let down for me from a band that has always said that they only write what they can play live. Still love them.

15. I think Stevie Ray Vaughan had to overdub some parts on one of his live cds because he was totally out of it, and I think that's kinda sad when you have to "add" parts to a live recording.

I only have one Rush album (Moving Pictures), and most of it's good, but some of the songs aren't that great.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they still played it live, right? ;) rush has always overdubbed guitars, keyboards and even vocals throughout their career. when they play the songs they compromise between the live aspect of them performing and the honest reproduction of the song.

take xanadu for example - when they used to play this all the way through, like on the moving pictures tour, geddy and alex both played doublenecks. for the end, geddy would play the rhythm guitar while alex soloed, and he played the bass via foot pedals. obviously he wasn't playing the complete bass line from the recorded version, but the song sounded whole.

as for adding parts to a live recording in the studio, i have mixed feelings about this - these parts were obviously not important to the live show, so why include them? on the other hand, if the recording is good, and captures the sound and feel of being there, and the musician decides he wants to add a little something extra in the studio, and it sounds better, then cool.

17. I've been very happy with their return to a power trio on the last few albums. The concerts of the late 80s and early 90s, with Geddy trapped in the corner behind a wall of keyboards, playing three parts at the same time, were less than optimal, IMO. Give them credit for pulling that stuff off live, but it's much cooler to see Geddy and Alex both out front and rocking again.

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It is cooler to see 'em both out front, I agree. But, the difference is that there's keyboard presence on stage, the others housed off stage, linked via MIDI.

He still plays the same keyboard parts in songs that have them.

19. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    First of all, not to be picky or anything.
    It's actually a '72 Jazz, but you're close enough ;).

I would like to state my opinion on the history of Rush since alot of people seem dissatisfied with a portion of their work.

The most important thing about Rush is that they are constantly reinventing themselves. They grow as musicians, so the music grows with them... The addition of the keyboards to their music allowed them a compositional and performing freedom that they couldn't obtain with just bass, guitar, and drums. I honestly think that the music of this period is just as relevant, and just as good, as the earlier Rush. If they had stayed the same, they would still be a Zepplin clone band (like the first album, see Rush: Visions). With each step Rush takes towards a different direction, it makes me happier (as a fan) to see they won't get caught in an AC/DC like trap...20 years of the same three chords and rhythms... 500 of the same song with different words.

20. BassWizard45

BassWizard45 Guest

Apr 1, 2001
    Rome, Georgia
    I can't agree more ytsebri!!

RUSH RULES

Ohh,, and although Rush is my favourite band, there just a band, we shouldn't analize them so much! But keep the thread coming, It's giving me a warm fuzzy felling!!