Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by supergreg, May 14, 2002.

1. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Finally the new Rush is out. Im getting my dad to go pick it up for me while I am at school. I have already heard the whole cd but like to support my favorite bands.
    The cd IMO is great. The guitar is more upfront. The drums as always are great. The vocals are the best I have heard on a Rush album. Everytime I listen to any of the songs I think " this is going to be hard for my guitarist":D
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was one of those dorks waiting in line to buy it at 12:01 a.m.

On the way home, I had a chance to listen to minute long segments of every song, and I think it totally RAWKS!!!!!:D

It's a complete departure, again. A new sound, one that I think works really well. Very modern sounding. I can't believe how much Gedster is using chords on this.

I highly recommend it to any Rush nut.;)
  3. My hubby is picking it up for me on his way home today....along with the New Jethro Tull DVD! Woo hoo!!!! :D

4. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Yea, I just picked it up today. I was shocked to listen it and not hear a SINGLE keyboard on it (at least what I think I'm hearing is effected guitar). They really came full circle with Vapor Trails. The songs are gonna sound SO nice live when I go see them in September.
  5. I'm listening to it right now. It's fine. Rush is still my favorite band ever, but their records over the past 15-17 years -- starting with Power Windows -- just don't do it for me like the older stuff did. They've recorded some great songs in that period, of course, but I don't feel they've made a totally killer record since Signals. I thought Counterparts was real close. Again, this is just my taste and opinion, YMMV.
    At the same time, I understand that the changes in their sound over the years have been an outgrowth of their restlessness and desire to grow and explore, and that's what made them great in the first place. Even now, their music has that something special, and in concert, they are still the kings!
    About keyboards.. there are none. I girl I work with at interviewed Alex and Geddy today (boy, am I envious!) for an article that will be on the site in a couple of days. Alex said he had been frustrated for several years with the keyboards, and he really took a stand this time around about no keys and very little guitar soloing. It's pretty stripped down, instrument-wise, which is great. I'm really digging the way Geddy fills it up with the bass chords.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    some of the lyrics brought tears to my eyes, literally. the pain that neil endured is very evident in quite a few of the songs, especially nocturne and ghost rider.

the best thing about rush is that they've had so many periods where they excelled at what they did. first there's the zep stage, then the proggy stage, then the english pop stage, then their take on grunge, and they've outlived all the contemporary bands that they used as inspiration.

last night ged and alex were on rock line. great show, they're going to be on again on wednesday, a totally different show, with different call ins/interview.
  7. and_Justice

Jan 14, 2000
    I just got Rush's newest albulm "Vapor Trails". So far i think its pretty cool. During the recording of it, Alex Lifeson (guitar) protested the use of any synth on any of the tracks. It's way more of a layed down, modern feel for the band. Geddy hasent dissapointed. He plays great. And i love Neil Peart.

Overall, i say 9/10. Welcome back guys.
  8. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Same with me. I knew Neils lyrics were going to be very painful and personal.
  9. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Great album by a great band. Enthusiastic thumbs up here.

I really like the direction they've taken musically on this one.
  10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I picked up my copy of Vapor Trails today! I think it's been a long time since any Rock band put out a CD this good! :cool:
  11. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I love this album. A band like Rush is always changing with every album and exploring new material. When you have that kind of talent in one band you can do that sort of thing.
  12. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I like it better than Test for Echo... The rawness of the guitars and drums is awesome, and Geddy sounds as fantastic as ever on the bass. Alex seems to be working on creating textures as opposed to riffs, which is really cool. Sounds like the guys have been listening to Tool and Sunny Day Real Estate (esp. on "Peaceable Kingdom"). Some of the best lyrics in recent years, too.

My real problem with the album is the vocals. I love Geddy's voice, but does every song need tons of layered vocal parts on it? Imho it makes all the songs sound the same... and in some cases it ruins the impact of the lyrics for me. All the 'space' where the keyboards used to be has been taken up by the layered vocals. I think a less ornate vocal approach would have worked much better with their stripped-down compositions.
  13. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Oddentity: excellent call on the layered vox. I like harmonies, but IMO, a bit too much. How will they do it live?

Same goes with Geddy's bass. I am a Rush fan, but not a huge fan of Gedd's new style. Lots of chords, not so many riffs. About the only part that kicked my ass on first listen is the chorus to Ceiling Unlimited when he kicks in with the super fast 16th notes. And the multi-tracked basses again make me ask, how will they do this live? Will they use keys to augment the parts that will be missing? Or will they play to tapes? One wonders...

I love the fact that this CD is more 'mainstream' than any previous recording, yet is still undeniably Rush.

Overall, it's a good CD and I hope it'll grow on me more.

14. I think the lyrical content is really powerful, and I don't mind that there aren't that many "guitar solos". I like the textured/rhythmic feel they were aiming for.

I've also been thouroughly impressed with Geddy's bass sound and performance. I think his explorations with chords and dyads is pretty cool, and very appropriate to an album without keyboards.

And to think that some people think the bass has too much in the 200k and below range on this recording. Sheesh ...
  15. I just picked it up and I love it! Best cd they've put out in many years IMO.
  16. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the more i listen to it, the more i wish geddy would've used his wal - the active tone would've helped his chording cut through better, and would've helped the low end be more even.
  18. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I've considered this as well.

Though I love him on the Jazz overall more than the Wal, the Jazz is the last thing to go for when doing all that chordal work. It gets buried. The Wal would definitely give those multiple notes some cut and clarity.

The alternative would be to drop EMG pups and pre into that old Jazz, but who would want to do that!? :eek:
  19. I just bought tickets to see them in Charlotte on July 1. :D Not gonna wait 'till October.
  20. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Excellent Disc!!! Love it!