1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Russian Christmas Music

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Has anyone heard the song Russian Christmas Music by Alfred Reed? I played it in my school's Wind Ensemble, and I absolutely loved it! It's such a dramatic and intense song...
    Does anyone know where I can download an MP3 of it?

2. That was our high school's "hey! we scored a touchdown, time to play that song that the student body doesn't know the name of " song!!"

Mike

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Having been in military bands for the last 19 years, I've played it once or twice... ;)

4. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Oh, the irony--I just posted how much I hate Christmas over in another thread. But RCM is the best song ever. Played it a thousand times (on tuba) and it still chokes me up. You gotta have a wicked bell player though--if that thing ain't on two wheels at the end, they ain't doing it right. :cool:

EDIT: Just found a pretty decent recording here:

http://www.soundclick.com/stations/stations.cfm?id=477110

Thanks for reminding me (sniff)... ;)

5. Ahh thanks Lumps, very nice recording =)

6. I should add that we started our touchdown theme at the change that occurs around 13:54 on that recording. I hope no one actually thought we played the whole damn thing.

Mike

7. Meh, the song's really not a marching band song... It's supposed to be a royal and majestic piece played in a concert hall.

8. I'd have thought your realization of that and my point would have hit you at about the same time.

Mike

9. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    It is amazing, did you play the full version or the abridged version?

I have a version from the Umass Lowell Summer Band Camp from like 2005 if you want it, I'll UL it.

edit: That recording that lump posted was rather good, but IMO seemed a bit dragged out and slower than when I've played it.

10. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I beg to differ. It was a huge DCI tune about 30 years ago.

http://www.scvanguard.org/history/gallery/media_viewer.cfm?uid=9066151a-ab03-4f3b-967f-b8461c6aafec

You'll need Quicktime. Make sure to turn it up. :cool:

Concur. It really bogs down at the end. :spit:

11. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA

Speaking of DCI there was this one show I saw that was the history of the Soviet Union, it was awesome

My recording is almost done ULing, I'll edit in a link when it's done.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=399257

And we're going to ignore the other recordings.

12. My school band played the full version... 16 or so minutes :p