1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

russian electro harmonix question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lil'bass, Oct 4, 2006.

1. is there any difference (except cosmetically) between the standard electro harmonix pedals and the russian ones? Because ive just got a russian bassballs and the non-distorted sound doesnt sound as responsive as the audio clip from their website......hmmmm....

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Search, my friend... use the "Search" function. The Russian/Sovtek stuff is not the same, and plenty of threads have discussed this.

Case in Point: Russian and American Big Muff pedals. Lots of variance from generation to generation of each pedal's manufacture, and just as much variation between how the two sound. In general, the Russian is harsher, while the American tends to be smoother.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Russian Bassballs sounded different than its American counterpart. In fact, listen to the samples on www.musiciansfriend.com instead of the EHX website - you can hear differences there.

This isn't to say that the Russian-made pedals aren't as good - they're just built differently. Other than the questionable build quality on some Russian pedals, their difference in sound is seen as a blessing to some who disliked the American versions.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Different cosmetics, different components, similar design.

By all intents and purposes, IMO, the only thing identical is the name. To me, they're seperate effects.

4. after a little fine tweaking ive managed to find a sound very similar to that of the usa audio demo......i actually love this pedal.....its slightly more subtle than the usa version but to me thats great because sometimes filter pedals can sound very 'gimmicky' if they are too bold. Plus they can make you stick out in a band environment.....which is a good or bad thing depending on your ego lol.

anyway thanks for the advice....i'll sound silly and say that i didnt actually see the search function.....but i did check the faq's....i'll be more aware in future

thanks for your replies and the link was very helpful!!:hyper:

5. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    I found my russian bassballs was a lot more noticable than the USA alternate.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021