Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Russian Muff + 105q (toe down) = (Russian Muff + EQ pedal) x looper???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spidersbass, Oct 24, 2005.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i'm a bit confused myself too, let me clarify (all my HS math teachings have disapated): :confused: :eek: :D

i like the combination of my muff with my 105q with the toe pressed down all the way

settings:
    muff - volume:12oclock sustain:max tone: 1-2 oclock
    wah - q control set to 5

thing is, i don't really use the muff without having my toe down on the wah. i'm one of them headbangers that goes a little crazy on stage, so i can't stand there with my foot on the wah the whole time. can an EQ pedal be set up to sound like if i had my wah on, toe down? and i'll just put both the muff and the EQ through a looper so turning the looper on will turn both the muff and the EQ on

i'm not exactly sure how a wah works, whether all its really doing is boosting and cutting a certain frequency with the rocking action, or if its some out of the ballpark thing it does that i would have never have guessed. i remember seeing a web page describing it in detail, but this was long ago when effects in general didn't interest me... now i'm an effects freak!

2. you could probably get similar results with a pedal, also i know that there are pedals out there (the names escape me at this moment) that i recall reading in the description, "sounds like leaving a wah in one position"
    i will look for that...

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Get a Jacques Trinity. It has a"stuck wah" mode. Better yet, duct tape your wah down.

4. yeah...the trinity was the one i was thinking of!

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    actually yes, a wha boosts some frequencys, and when you move the exp pedal you are changing what freq to move.

so get an EQ pedal, search for the freq you want, and boost it, then try cutting other freqs, or maybe boosting other, hear and do what you loike most

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

That won't lead to anything, unless you use a parametric EQ.
    A wah filters frequencies with a very sharp slope, bending and warping the tone. You can't do that with a graphic EQ.
    There's a fix wah function in my evertrusty Korg AX-1B, I use it very often.

Another solution would just be to get rid of that stupid return spring in the 105Q.

7. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    would the Boss GEB-7 work?

not looking to buy expenisive pedals, just a quick and inexpensive fix... i'm not THAT anal about my tone... duct tape wouldn't allow me to use the wah anymore, so that ain't gonna go down... the return spring presses down on the button to bypass the wah, ain't going down either

i thought it was the graphic eq that gives you sharp slopes, not the other way around.

is that Boss GEB-7 what i'm looking for?

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  9. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i had no idea these little S.O.B.s existed! thanks Xan! that would be damn near perfect for my problem. but on the JimDunlop website, it says its basically a guitar crybaby 95q. my bass crybaby 105q has the the same controls as a 95q: volume, Qcontrol, and the actual Wah rocker control.... has anyone got any insight if this would work well on bass or not?