Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Russian Muff vs American Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Psyrcle, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I searched he forum and didn't find a thread explaining this but which one is better for bass?

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Hmmm. Maybe I can be of help, since I'm a big fan of muff.

I can rather confidently say that of late, most American women seem to shave off most, if not all of their muff (much to my dissapointment). I think Russian women are probably more traditional, and leave more muff.

Thus, I vote for Russian muff.

:bag:

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I love my russian muff. I never use it alone, I add a // dry loop. I prefer the look of the russian, and I got it for 35€ shipping included. So I never really wondered usa or russian...

4. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    From what I have heard .... Dont know if its important to you or not but the American has "true bypass" and should not affect your signal when the pedal is turned off, as opposed to the russian which will still introduce a little of the fuzz when the pedal is off, I just got my American Fuzz but I have not yet even hooked it up its still waiting for me at home right now.
    - Tom

5. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    there are like 34892432 threads with this same topic in them

6. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    + 1

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I have the American version, and I love it. It's less harsh and trebley, but is still very aggresive to my ears. Gotta love the box too. And the price! A very versatile pedal IMO.

Graeme

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    *Sigh*

I can't find my copy & paste reply to this question. As the reigning King of Muff, I will say this:

There completely different animals with similarities in both tone and how they function. The Russian Big Muff is a more cost-efficient, foreign made variant of the American Muff with much looser tolerances for materials. On that note, I've played Russians that are both better and worse than Americans, which on the whole, are more consistent, and sight unseen, unheard, I would take an American Muff over a Russian anytime.

9. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I found this Double Muff Fuzz pedal but am unsure of quality. Anyone know about that?

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's a new American design that is essentially two Big Muffs in series. The tonal control is limited, but the switch allows you to designate whether you want mild distortion or all out distortion. It's a good pedal, I was fond of mine.

11. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    This must be a self-proclaimed title! It sounds like we need to have a muff off to find the true King of Muff! :p

Or maybe in the absence of March Madness, I'm longing to make out another bracket...

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    OK then, how many have you owned :p

Going on about 32 different Muff's ;)

13. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    32!? you are the king! I managed a music store for 5 years in the mid-late 90s, so I used to be able to "pick through" an entire New Sensor shipment of muffs to find the sweet ones. I can't match your number, but I filtered through hundreds of 'em to find the 10-12 that I owned at different times.

I have owned amazing Russian and American-made models. There's a green russian-made in particular that I gave to a buddy after the US models came out--wish I could have that one back! Hands down the best bass distortion, when you find a good one.

Also IIRC, Tpylons, don't you know of a mod to make a standard muff more bass-friendly?

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes. PM me for details.

15. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Jeez, the bassist from the Muse must be making EHX so much money. Ever since /Absolution/ came out all I've heard is muff muff muff muff muff muff muff...

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    People have been Muffing for years over Cliff Burton's tone. Nothing new.