1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Russian Physicists Launch Campaign to Rebuild Tesla's Wireless Power Transmission Tower

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by champbassist, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Tesla's version of Signs is one of my drunk songs.

2. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I'm hopeful, however, Tesla had many ideas and projects that turned out to not be possible and there is a chance that this could be one.

3. If it works, I'm all for it. Lets see someone figure out how to charge for something that can be had by plugging your amp into the dirt.

4. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I'm sure it will work, but we might not like the byproduct, much like nuclear power.
    It could just be a cover for them building tesla's "death ray" too.

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I thought the whole problem was that no one could figure out how to do it safely. The power just took the easiest route to earth ground, and sometimes that would be THROUGH PEOPLE. Like lightning. IDK, but that's what I thought the crux of the concept was.

6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Little Suzy is indeed on the up, so I've heard.

Eric Perry and Immigrant like this.
  7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Don't forget your wellies .

Immigrant likes this.
  8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    You modern day cowboys keep shooting them up....

Immigrant likes this.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Shouldn't this be in the "When success becomes failure" thread?

edpal and nukes_da_bass like this.
  10. Tesla was brilliant, but he eventually lost touch with reality. Supposedly he had a pet pigeon which he "married"....

I think some of his ideas were way too far-fetched, and IMO wireless power transmission isn't feasible.

11. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I clicked the link and the page doesn't translate well.
    It did however bring up a rendering of something that looks like an amalgam between the Eiffel Tower and a giant phallus.

12. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    You bastard.

I've had "L.A. Woman" stuck in my head all day and was enjoying it and now here you come along and replace it with that. Ugh

Eric Perry likes this.
  13. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    You say that like it's a bad thing... Does not compute.

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    That's a hilarious [maybe accurate sometimes] statement about marriage.

DeathFromBelow likes this.
  15. I say fire that thing up. So everything with an electromagnetic signature might go up like a sparkler. I wanna see what happens.

16. Wireless power transmission can (and does) work, but on the scale proposed? Dunno. Certainly wouldn't want to be living near that :p

17. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Brought to us by the geniuses who gave us Cherenobyl.

18. Hi.

The aether theorists will be furious and predict the end of the world. Again.

IIRC Tesla himself said that when, not if, but when the system would eventually malfunction, it would probably kill a hell of a lot of living things (pigeons and everything else) on earth and abandoned the idea.

Since the first radio transmissions, we have transmitted huge amount of power wirelessly.

The D-day was the first wireless power transmission large scale test, unintentional, but still, and eventually led to the microwaves to be used in heating food among other things.

20m Tesla coil would be something to see though.
    I bet it'll be on Youtube :).

The geniuses in Three Mile Island brought us what a few years earlier?

Regards
    Sam

19. I believe I remember reading somewhere that the initial test failed. One of the byproducts being that the grass was glowing blue from the electricity and it created an extreme hazard. Mind you this was years ago, and I never looked into the validity of the sources they used in the article I had been reading.