Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rust building on pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PeterJ405, Sep 22, 2002.

1. PeterJ405

PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    I have a Squier right now and live by the beach and dont know if the salt air is what is rusting the pickups or if its just because its so cheap. Has anyone else had this problem? And do the pickups that cover the metal pieces sound worse, or the same?:confused:

2. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    do you keep the bass in a case/gig bag when not playing? the only time i seen rust on a guitar/bass is when it lays out for months/years...the covered pickups are inexspensive and sound good,EMG,seymour duncan,bartolini,they all sell replacement pickups for your bass. i would try using some mild soap to remove the rust? and then use polish to keep stuff from rusting,good-luck

3. PeterJ405

PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    thanks i leave it on a stand in my room but should i keep it in a case when im not playing it?:confused:

4. yes

5. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    heres what you can do. I have had the same problem on a couple of my basses. You can use clear fingernail polish on the pole peices to stop the rusting. If you want you can file off the rust and then put on the fingernail polish.

The fingernail polish has no effect on the sound or finish what so ever. Whe pickups are made there is a very thin layer of some sort of protectant. But as time flies by that layer is worn away.

Fingernail polish should do the trick

6. PeterJ405

PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    thank you