Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rust!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Onebassman, Aug 3, 2005.

1. I have a Carvin Custom and for some reason the pots keep rusting as well as all my hardware. I don't know why. I always keep in in the case and when I play it I clean it up and all. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? And no, I don't keep it in the basement... :)

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Is the inside of your case damp?

3. No, I don't know what the deal is. It's an SKB case. I thought they were the best?!

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    What are you cleaning it with. Sounds like you're using some kind of water-or rusting-material.

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Where do you keep your bass when not in use? I know you said in the case, but where do you keep that?

6. I just use a standard guitar cloth. Every once in a while I'll use some Gibson guitar cleaner. But only on the body and neck.

7. Either in my garage (which might be the problem) which is a very clean dry place, or in my room.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    How long does it take before you notice any change in the bass? And how long are you leaving it in the closed case?

A recent thread on this gave the impression that a bass sealed in a case with some atmospheric moisture over a long time is a bad idea (not surprising, really). I keep all my basses in hard cases, but make sure each one gets opened up and taken out every week or so for an "airing", then it gets wiped down properly before going away again. Some don't get played as much as they should, I know...

Anyways, no problems with this so far, but I know other people said (in the other thread) they'd had problems with their basses under the conditions described above. You could try using a small pack of a desiccant like silica gel in the case (some basses come new with this in the case), BUT be warned that my Ric owner's manual says too little humidity can be as bad for an instrument as too much. Frequent airing seems to me to be the best compromise if you like to keep your basses safely in their cases.

9. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    Then again, the rusting maybe due to the salt in the sweat from your fingers.

shouldnt it all be chromed?