Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rusty Pickups

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ironfingers80, Sep 28, 2004.

1. ironfingers80

ironfingers80

May 4, 2004
    Does anybody know how to remove rust from pickups? Due to years of neglect, the pickup on my Ernie Ball MM Stingray has gathered a fair amount of rust. I'm ashamed this has happened, but if anyone has any rust removal and/or rust prevention advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    does the rust mess with the sound n all that coz i had a friend with a rusted up LP and it played real nice ... id say some steel wool would clean it up but id take it to a shop im a pussy when it comes to repairs on anyhting that isnt my old P copy

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I teched on the road for a guy with a late '50's Strat whose pickups were really rusty from the buckets he would sweat onstage. Brian was VERY superstitious about anyone cleaning the pups or wiring for fear it would change the sound. I say if it sounds good take a Q-tip and rub a very small amount of sewing machine oil into the rust to inhibit it but don't go to town with the steel wool. Cleaning them is probably nothing to really worry about but you never know...

4. Hey, Seymour Duncan charges extra for that rust.

5. ironfingers80

ironfingers80

May 4, 2004
    thanks for the replies...the bass definitely sounds fine so i guess there's no harm done. i may just leave it as is...

6. Steel Wool + Magnetic Pickups = Bad Idea

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    A stronger magnet like a 30lb Rare Earth is a quick and easy solution to any metallic debris stuck to yer p.up magnets.

8. A magnetic battle!!

I recall Dan Erlewine referring to steel wool particles and pickups as not good. It's one thing taping off your pickups while working on your fretboard, but the slugs themselves are the rusty offenders.

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Forget the steel wool idea. Go to a marine supply shop and pick up some Bronze wool. It's non-magnetic and works just as well.

If you don't live near a marine supply, you can also find the stuff online.

BUT--if the pickups still sound good, leave 'em alone!!! ;)