Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rusty Ric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neenishtart, Mar 3, 2002.

1. neenishtart

neenishtart

Feb 14, 2002
    Australia
    I'm about to buy a 4001 but its a little rusty around the bridge and pickups. Will this continue to deteriorate even if I give it alot of love?
    Does rust on the pickups majorly effect the sound?

I'm in love with this thing (its azureglo !!) so please don't break my heart!!!

I'm also pretty keen to try out that bypass operation if I buy it..Its a 1977 so I'm pretty sure it's a candidate for the operation table.I love any oppurtunity to get down and dirty with a soldering iron...

2. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    :) Hi - I don't think the rust will stop - My '77 4001 has surface rust which creeps along every year (god, I bought it new!)...The only thing to watch out for is if the windings are corroded which will alter or destroy the sound.
    Packing it in it's case with Silica Gel (moisture absorbant) will prolong it's life....

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Regular cleaning will slow the rust immensely - go for it. Try a small quantity of light oil on a toothbrush to clean the rust. Do you live in a high humidity area, or near the ocean?

My pawn shop prize 1981 Azureglo 4001 is a delightful bass!

[​IMG]

It's all dolled up now - just replacing the pickguard with a repro helped the appearances tremendously. This has turned into my favorite Ric color! If you get it, try a set of GHS Pressurewounds - they fit the character of the bass perfectly.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I did the surgery on my '76 4001. Piece of cake, and I'm not a handy guy with a soldering iron.
    Doc

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yep I was the first guinee pig to do the surgery and it came out great and it only took a half hour and my Ric sounds killer now!
    The Rust thing! Hmm you can slow it down by keeping the chrome clean and put a light coat of wax on it to repel any more moisture.