Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rut Busting

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CrypticScott, May 30, 2003.

1. CrypticScott

CrypticScott Guest

May 30, 2003
    NW Indiana/Chicago
    I'm a new member here. I've been playing for 17 years ,and I've kind of hit a wall as far as progressing goes. Wondering if anyone has and advice for getting myself back to the point where I'm learning again. It's frustrating as h**l.

Thanks!

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm there too man, but I'm only at the 3 year and some months point... here's what I think is gonna help me. I'm hopefully going to be starting a band, if we never gig or whatever that would be OK by me. What I need is the chance to jam/perhaps write some songs.

Also a helper for me is exploring other genres. Primarily a rock guy? Try some jazz. Country guy? Give metal a shot. I'm in a bar band with my uncle and because of this I've learned some songs I would have never thought of learning. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Delbert McClinton, Blues Brothers, Aerosmith, etc. I mean, I'd listen to these bands, but never think of learning their basslines... well some Tom Hamilton lines I learned a year or two ago. I hope this helps.

3. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Get some new influences, play some Schoenberg, Gorguts or Allan Holdsworth stuff or whatever that gets you to learn something new.

4. CrypticScott

CrypticScott Guest

May 30, 2003
    NW Indiana/Chicago
    That's what Ive been trying to do lately. In the past I've been really into alot of two handed and soloing type of stuff. So the past few weeks I've tried immersing myself in things like motown and punk...hell of a combination huh?

5. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    From Zen Guitar:

"The way out is to stay focused on your training - what you are doing right now. Don't look ahead to where you want to be, and don't look back thinking 'I've only come this far.' If you put in an honest effort, you will break through to the next level. You can't make long-term progress conform to your timetable. It has to happen naturally..."

I think I've posted that quote elsewhere before, but I always think of it when I hear the word 'rut'. Believe me, I get into many of them LOL. A rut is a good sign that you need a challenge, something new, something fresh. Maybe there's a part of theory you should learn that will give you a challenge? Or, as mentioned, try listening to/playing different musical styles. So many new doors will be opened.

6. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Why not go back to a difficult piece from your past and totally tighten it up? Transcribe it as exactly as possible - in writing.

Learn a solo from a horn player or guitarist on the bass.

I think the key to ruts for me has been to find some new challenge. I try to evaluate where I am and attack a known weakness. I'll develop a custom excercise or 2 to remove the weakness and turn it into a strength.

To be honest, at this point (4.5yrs) it's pretty easy to find weaknesses. I imagine after 17 years it gets a bit tougher.