Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ryan Martinie bass effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by todostusmuertos, Dec 21, 2003.

1. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    question, I'd like to know how the bassist from Mudvayne gets that "dirty" tone in "The End Of All Things To Come" CD

I've read that it's all EQ but how can you get that tone which sounds a little distorted from just your EQ.

what do you have to do to get that sound?
    I know you need a lot of trebble.

2. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    must be his thumb, don't ye think?

3. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    It is the Warwick Thumb neck through bass, his eq selection, and his right hand technique.

Most of all it is the Warwich Tuumb Neck Through not the bolt on.

Hope this helps

Dave

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    WEll partially its his Warwick/Ampeg duo.

5. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Wow, I guess there's no way to simulate that sound with a MIM P Fender.

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Nosir.

7. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Use the bridgePU of your bass.
    Boost the lowmids (250-500Hz)
    Not to much bass and cut the treble at 3kHz.
    Play near the bridge.
    Tune your string down.

8. Hmm. Was watching the DVD today, and he was definatly using mesa (cabinets at least).

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    i believe i read he uses no effects. But for distortion he cranked his SVT's gain.

10. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
  11. This was three years ago, however, and I'd like to restate that there has been a change in his cabinet choice (which could likely indicate a change in preamplification). Regardless, his amp/cabinet selection does not determine his overall sound considering that his amp on stage is only a monitor.

You also have to consider that his studio gear selection differs a whole lot as well. He used Mesa Boogie GUITAR cabinets in the studio along with Direct In to achieve his recording sound....Interesting

I doubt that if you go out and buy a full Mesa or Ampeg stack and a Thumb you'll sound like Martinie. There is so much skill and signal processing (they make a point to hide his bass equip) that happens before his bass hits the amp anyway. As far as the effects part, he was stating that in regard to his live sound...In the studio: no doubt he has used effects

12. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Here is the latest as of the beginning of 2003 as written in several articals. I also saw them in a live recording room no more than 12 feet away so I can confirm the cabinet choice mentioned below.

Plays mostly 4 and 5 string Warwick thumbs and a fretless Pedulla Buzz 4. One of the keys to the tone is DR hi beams.

Live signal chain is from bass to Shure UHF U4D wireless, whirlwind multiselector, dbx 160 compressor and an Ampeg SVT-4pro head (his backup head is a SVT 2 pro) on top of an SVT PR 810H new style 8 x 10 cabinets. The front of house sound comes from a BSS AR 133 direct box which is run from the SVT-4pros effects loop.

For recording he used this rig miked and direct plus an SWR workingman's 10 head (with the speaker disconnected) and powering Greg Tribbett's Mesa/Boogie 4 x 12 guitar cabinet to build his midrange tone.

In my opinion his tone comes from the thumb bass, the dr strings and his technique. I almost have the same tone. For a while I was close until I put on the DR strings on my thumb. They make a big difference in tone. I am running (2) 410 XLT Eden cabs with a DBX160A compressor, a Xwire wireless and a SWR SM900 amp.

Hope this helped out some.