Ryan Martinie: Innovator or Nusiance?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Innovator, dude!!!

11 vote(s)
  2. Nuisance, don't bother w Nu-metal

1 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yea guys, what do you think of this dude, aka Ryknow and Ru-d..and why!
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Polly's Helpful TalkBass Hint Number #456:
    Creating an new thread that has been beaten to death in tons of older threads, and adding a poll to "what you think", does not make it a "new", or "fresh" thread.

End of Polly's Helpful TalkBass Hint Number #456
  3. hey polly...I have advice for you too....

bug off and stop being an *******, you could've said that in a nicer manner, or even not said chit at all so a Mod could tell me...btw...I believe there is a difference between seniority and arrogance...which one do you have?

end of my advice...
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I think that he is an innovator in a crappy genre of music. I understand that it's really easy to just play root notes with the guitarist's power chords, but he has a better approach to nu-metal that most (if not all) other bass players in nu-metal bands.

The only Mudvayne song I can stand is Death Blooms, in which the singer displays some good vocal range, but other than that, I don't go for the screamy metal.
  5. I understand where you come from...I wasn't really into that screamy metal at the time when I first heard them, but the basslines stuck out so damned much and eventually I listened to a lot more of that screamy metal stuff..as long as there is some good playing going on, not power chords and following roots while I aimlessly scream type of b\s....

I love how he plays stuff you'd normally see in jazz and funk and make it work in metal...I mean anyone can get it to work, but the way he pulls it off is just so awesome, it makes the songs seem even heavier, and watching him play, he's not over exerting himself or anything when he plays the tunes, he's just damned good!
  6. I dig him, but don't like Mudvayne..
  7. thanks speddling..nice thread, too....
    thanks for not being an ******* about it, like polly
  8. Innovator, dude!!! GOOOO RYAN!
  9. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Is he a damn fine bassist? Yes.
    Is he an innovator? No.

You may now be asking youself, "Why do you say that, you old fart?" (Yes, I've listened to Mudvayne). It's simple, really. An "innovator" is someone who creates an entirely new and often unexpected approach to the instrument that forever changes the way we look at it. Innovators affect everyone who comes after them. The list of great bassists would fill this server, and Martinie's name would be there. The number of bass innovators I can count on one hand. :cool:

Let's not be too careless with the way we bandy such strong terms about.

Martini's band, on the other hand, is a nuisance. Then again, I'm an old fart. :D

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He's a decent player, that's all.
  11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Eh, cry me a river.

My first post was not even that mean. You must not have seen my other posts, seeing as how on a rudeness level, that post would have only ranked as a 4 on a 1-10 scale. And the way you keep bringing it up, it's almost like you want to start something. If you would have PM'ed me and said "Hey polly, I didn't think that post was to nice, could you please edit it/make it nicer/delete it?" I would have done so in a heartbeat.

So, get over it. It was a half joke anyway. The fact is, he has been done to death on alot of threads.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ugh, alright, Ryan is really good but people won't accept it because he's in MudVayNe. But people accept older bands who have good bassists. Like I've heard on this board, "I hate Kajagoogoo, but they've got a great bassist." or "blah blah bassist may be a giant ***hole, but he's a great bassist." ala Zappa's bassist, but it seems older bassist around here have trouble accepting newer bassist. Jaco II could be slapping them in the face with bass strings, and they wouldn't even flinch if he was in some modern popular band, or one like Mudvayne where 2 elements of the band suck (such as vocals, guitar).
  13. I think there should've been a third choice. Something along the lines of a happy median.

I think Martine's playing is pretty damn good, but nothing new, it's impressive for a lot of new bassists (like me) to see him play, but we usually aren't that cultured as far as the great bassists go. I'm not speaking of myself. ;)

He is now what Flea was in the 90's, an inspiring player that gets too much credit for what he does. Nothing revolutionary.

Mudvayne is a great band though. Liten up, ya old fogeys. :p
  14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    1.- hit "new thread"

2.- pick one of your fave bassist

3.- post "hay guys wut u think of him" BUT don`t give your opinion or something valuable

4.- hit "submit new thread"

5.- REPEAT
  15. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    What everyone else said.

I like the band though. The singer and guitarist could be better, but I think they are fine for what they do.
  16. me.

Haha, nah, Victor Wooten, I'm surprised not to see his name in this thread yet.
  17. Victor Lamone Wooten. :p
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Martinie is aweosme, my second fav bassist.
  19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Victor Lamonte Wooten :p :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.