Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by scourtedc700, Jul 6, 2002.

1. scourtedc700

scourtedc700

Jan 29, 2002
    Who thinks Ryan Martinie aka Ryknow from Mudvayne is an awesome bassist. He gets lost in the mix a lot but he's got insane speed where slap is concerned, and he's always doing off the wall fills... I don't know whether it's artistic talent or just pure dumb luck, but he's always playing something that seems unconventional by most rock standards.

Primus Sucks!!!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lost in the mix? Hell, he IS the mix. I've never had a problem hearing his bass at all. It's not dumb luck, he actually has a backround in jazz fusion, and still does jazz session work when not fufilling his Mudvayne duties.

And yes, he's got an excellent technique and style.
    Also of some note it that he tunes GCGCF. He has two full octaves to play with, which makes for some interesting melodic work.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yes, indeed...great bassist...i would really love to hear some of his jazz stuff. mr. martinie is some kind of elusive...you can hardly find out anything about him. but, yes, scour...our buddy ryan draws his roots from the jazz scene.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, I wouldn't call his technique great, but it's definitely better than most rock bassists. I actually don't like it when he slaps, because he loses a LOT of bottom end and pretty much falls out of the mix.

However, he's a pretty good bassist. What I like most is how insanely tight he is with the drummer; that's probably the best thing about him.

5. I like Rhyknow, but I'm not a huge fan of mudvayne anymore. I still really dig some of their stuff, buut for the most part lost interest. He is a bad ass bassist, and i would love to hear him in a non-scream-your-head-off-about-death-and-stuff band. ;) :p

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I think that's more along the lines of a Warwick problem than Ryan. He still doesn't get good lows out of GCGCF. I love Ryan's work,but I think he should go with a different kind of bass. His Warwick's cut through the mix great,as far as highs go. As most of us know I'm sure,Warwick isn't as efficient when it comes to lows. Great bassist(would die to hear some of his Jazz work),good technique and overall style. If ya ask me,It's his basses he should change. Not downing Warwick,I love 'em,but for HIS style,he needs something else. Just my 2 cents. -Luke

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's still a Ryan problem because he's the one who chooses to slap, chooses his tone, and chooses his bass. I would say it's his problem, not the bass.

8. [dfire]knight

[dfire]knight

Mar 30, 2002
    bend, or
    i agree to point. I mean some songs got to have that growl from a warwick like -1, a severed. they would not be what there are without a warwick thumb.

9. I agree with you, he is definately an underrated bassist, he's got unbelievable skill in his playing and his style.

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey is the G tuned down??!!! That must make for some pretty floppy strings!!!

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a .130 B string downtuned 2 full steps. I tuned that way for about a month, and it's not that hard to get used it. It's mostly adapting your technique to fit the application. That said, I've tuned up since then, but if I had a better bass or a thicker gauge string (prefferable a .145 or so) I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Does their DVD give you multiple angles to watch???

I know a little off subject.

13. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    The "Live Dosage" DVD has only one camera angle. The "Dig" DVD has multiples. -Luke

14. This has been discused a lot in the past, i'm supprised no one said this yet, there has been a ton of threads on him.

but yes he is a damn good bass player.

15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    [​IMG]

He is freakin ugly, but a bloddy good bass player. He couldnt get the same sound as he does on severed and Internal Primates forever without a Warwick.

16. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    What the hell is a Mudvayne and is that the correct spelling? If it is, then what the hell is a vayne?

I'm old.

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think a mudvayne is like a butthole or something....i think their bassplayer is definitely worth checking out, though...i like him anyway.

18. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    You've got such a dirty mind!! And I will check them out.

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hee hee

that is the first thing that came to mind...