Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ryan martinie's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Mar 27, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Hello...
    er straight to the point i was reading 'bass player' one day and it had ru-d the bassist from mudvayne. i saw an article on him, and on the last page is a picture of him playing a bass. its advertising warwick and i have fallen in love with that bass.
    if you have read the magazine and seen the bass, can any one tell me a link to it or is it a customized one?
    i have looked on the warwick site and they don't have it.
    any hints?

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Ru-d has a few Warwicks -- I think his main one is a custom black Thumb -- but he also plays a Thumb five (both with alternate tunings). -- BP says it's Bubinga, but it looks like Ovankol from the picture...I love his tone on the albums.

3. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    He plays warwick thumb 4 and 5's. Neckthru not bolt on. Pretty expensive. He then runs them thru a sure wireless system and a his SWR amps. He also plays detuned for less string strength. Thats how he gets his sound. as for the bass, its just a wick

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Thumb 4 and 5 neckthru's but the difference is that he has ebony and rosewood boards instead of wenge, so yes, his basses are custom. I'm assuming that the black basses are just dyed bubinga, because I haven't seen anywhere that he has any custom wood body other than the bubinga. Hope that helps.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh, last time I checked he uses all Ampeg amplification.

6. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    w0ops, sorry bout that, thought it was Ampeg, but my heart told me SWR...guess i was wrong. Sorry.

7. yea, I also read in Bass Player that he used a Pedulla Buzz for some fretless sounds on the album , but the main sound is his detuned warwick thumb(neckthru) basses

8. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    thanks for the help mateys, but er after finding out on the price, well... a bit much i would say the area for my 2nd bass would be like 700 english pounds (say it in a powsh english accent and sit up straight he he)
    i saw it for like £1,300 but does any one know of another good warwick to substitute this

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i actually got to hang out with ryan for about an hour on friday. (seriously, he came to my jazz gig and introduced himself afterwards)

he told me that his cabs are ones that you can't buy from ampeg - they only had the parts for 15 of them and they made him two. 2400 watt power handling 8x10's. YOWZA.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Can someone tell me why he goes by "Ru-D" if his name is Ryan Martinie? Seriously - I have been wondering this.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

wow....no kiddin'....

that's pretty cool, man. i had always heard that ryan was big into jazz. did he have anything interesting to say?

pretty nuts on his ampegs, too....sheesh

12. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I think that's his stage name. If you read the BP interview, he mentions their names are supposed to be sort of a joke -- inspired by an Onion article.

13. ya, they all dress in alien suits, so they change their named to sound alien-like sorta ambiguous.

why does everyone want ryans bass? it doesnt make you ryan.

14. they stopped dressing up and using makeup for the most part. i saw them in pittsburgh a few weeks ago, and i thought the show was great. i'm not into the moshing so i stood in the back and just watched, and that was fine with me!

15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I don't ever believe in the whole "buy a bass, sound like _____" theory... but the sound of the thumb 5 he used on the album(s) is really close to just about every one I've played. Like a Musicman or a P bass, they have a unique tone that you just KNOW, you get me? Most warwicks have a "Warwick" tone, but the thumb 5 sounds extra-Warwicky.

That's not to say I can't cop his exact tone with my Modulus and GK/SWR rig, but it takes no eq-ing with a thumb NT5. Problem is, you have to know what he's doing, then do it to sound like him. I'm not there yet. And I refuse to tune G-C-G-C-F.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

he had TONS of interesting things to say. i asked him about that fusion band everyone wonders about - he says there are recordings but they are really bad. he explained his philosophies on the bass and music, and how he is much more of a writer than a bassist in his mind. super humble, sweet guy - kept saying how he wasn't even on my level as a player... i'm sure he was just being nice but MAN, that's a compliment i'll leave on the fridge!!!

plus, we're going to get together to show each other stuff when he is back for a few weeks from touring. i really want to pick his brain over the songwriting aspects of bass, and his classical technique - and i'll probably show him some stuff on upright. should be a good time :D

17. Five thousand 15-year-olds all over America will cream themselves upon reading this.

Does he actually write on bass, or does he use guitar or keys for that purpose?

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, that must be 'cause Warwicks rock :cool: