1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ryan Stasik Anyone???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dwc3690, May 13, 2006.

1. Anyone listen to Umphrey's Mcgee? They are one of my favorite bands (living), and they have a great bass player... If anyone has the chance to see them it is an experience.

2. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Stasik does indeed have some slick bass lines... Serously check these guys out sometime...

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    One of the better "jam" bands out there!IMHO Ryan is a tasty player, as is the whole band.

4. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I saw UM at Smilefest in 2004 and got to meet Ryan and the other guys while he was out and about (actually he was buying an ice cream if I recall). I agree with jerry (above) about UM being a tasty band, they did two cool shows for us that weekend. Along with Garaj Mahal, UM impressed me a great deal more than other talents on hand that weekend.

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    He's pretty darn good - the dueling guitar barrage sometimes overshadows him though. We saw them a few times at High Sierra - good stuff. I have to admit that I was not a huge fan of Anchor Drops (a little too much 'pop' for me) - but their newest effort is supposed to be like their older material. Their cover of YYZ is insane.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I love Umphrey's, and Ryan is a great group player. It bothers me that he goes for slap stuff a lot when he's got the spotlight, though once in a while it's ok. His grooves are pretty great.

7. Last call

Last call

Aug 27, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Ryan has done some really cool stuff lately, check out this vid with the hot bass groove in the middle.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5h6cWdEN2rM

Hes playin a sweet lakland 55-94 mmmmmmmm

The unstoppable groovness starts at 2 mins.. hes really force to be reckoned with his pocket is so deep... and the backing band is just so dynamic and talented

8. I really like the song "Bright Lights, Big City" from "The Bottom Half". Absolutely fantastic groove.

9. akane2

akane2

Sep 28, 2008
    is it the lakland that gives him such a solid punch? His groove sounds like the treble is rolled way back, but then he slaps the bass with ease and its definitely there. Anybody have some ideas where his eq may be?

10. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

I love Stasik. I saw Umphrey's on Halloween in San Francisco last year. Amazing show. All of the band was in full costume. Ryan was the most grooving Pittsburgh Vampirate I've ever seen. As far as his EQ settings, I have seen a picture where the graphic EQ on his SVT-4 (which he no longe uses, moved on to GK) is basically flat with a very slight dip in the low mids. I don't know about his on bass EQ however.

Ryan is an amazing player and Umphrey's Mcgee is an amazingly underrated band.

11. akane2

akane2

Sep 28, 2008
    hey does anyone know what effect stasik is using in this vid? It starts at 3:35

12. ezrs

ezrs

Sep 24, 2008
    stasik has had that same sound for a while now, even when he had a modulus genesis up until the days of Local Band Does OK

doesnt help much, but i think the genesis and lakland basses are very similar tonewise

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Love Umphrey's, and Ryan is an awesome player.

14. thatkid

thatkid

Feb 12, 2008
    Columbia SC
    Bump for Stasik. Been listening a while just thought about looking him up on here, glad to see some other guys are diggin' him (and them). In my opinion they are getting better with age!

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't know about the mainland scheduling, but PBS is replaying the Umphrey's Soundstage tonight.

16. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Pony is a beast! Just saw them again on Wednesday night and they pulled a great show. He's often not heard because of the sheer amount of sound texture that comes from that band, but when you do hear his lines they are disgustingly good. He can groove like a mofo!

The end of Andy's Last Beer is one of the funnest bass lines to sit around and groove with!

17. These guys are fun to watch although can be hit and miss on some nights. (any band really) Their vocals are also fairly annoying....Something about the dudes voice .

Only thing I've never liked was they were listed as the heir apparent to Phish and all of a sudden got launched into this spectrum they really couldn't live up to. Phish died so everyone become an Umphrey's fan. I'm sure most people realized it was a complete joke and the rest has played itself out.

Anyways Yes I dig Ryan's vibe...always looks like he's having a sweet time.

18. rjs6700

rjs6700

Jul 25, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Anyone have info on his rig. Last I saw it was the Lakland into a GK, but haven't been able to figure out his effects.

19. thatkid

thatkid

Feb 12, 2008
    Columbia SC
  20. rjs6700

rjs6700

Jul 25, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks....I've searched many times and never found that page.