Ryan Stasik of Umphrey's McGee

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Yes another one of those "underappreciated bassists' threads", but I thought some of you might like to check him out.

Their site is located Here and it features plenty of MP3 downloads.

Umphrey's McGee is a rare "jam-oriented" band in that they will also appeal to many prog-rockers and fusion fans as there is plenty of inlfuence from both in their music. In fact, they do a rather scorching YYZ cover live often.

Anywho - Ryan is solid and worth checking out if their tour stops near you.
  2. FINALLY someone posts about Pony. I have seen Stasik 4 times in the past 9 months and every time he never fails to amaze me. his style is simply mesmorizing. he uses a combination of 3 fingers and 2 fingers with unbelievable speed, and the way he bends his fingers makes it look like his hand is trying to run away. often times ive caught myself staring at his fingers and completely tuning out the rest of the band, who has one of the best lead guitarists ive ever seen or heard. he is fantastic, he's an excellent slapper, and he can bust out the Pony move and not loose the beat. Needless to say, hes my favorite bassist, from my favorite band.
  3. I also agree, Ryan is the man! I have seen them 4 times and without any question they give you your moneys worth each and every time, there's no doubt about it. What's key, is that each member of the band is equally as good as the other. They are, what I would cal,l a musicians band. The last time that they were in Detroit their show became a musicians gathering. Now that was impressive.
  4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    those guys are one hell of a band! :bassist:
  5. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    first a moe. thread now an umphreys thread... bout time. Stasik is my avatar. I caught umphreys for the first time at summer camp this year and they blew me away. they blew me away the other 4 times i saw them too... anyone got the new DVD yet? Pony is smokin on it. fantastic band. fantastic bassist.

new years... umphreys... chi town... again... gonna be sveet
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's funny, I thought about Umphrey's McGee when we where in the Moe thread too!! Great band! Great bassist!!! They really stand out on the jamband scene.....kinda like Moe meets Yes :bassist:
  7. Seeing them on November 17(?) in DC. Can't wait. Their live stuff that I have is sick.
  8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I don't listen to them as much as I used to but they're a great band with great bass - and Jake is a freak show on guitar.
  9. up seen them twice but listen everyday. i call them the new phish.umph is a great band and i would recommend hitting up any show you can on there tour.i seen there last pearl street show in mass unreal.all i gatta asy is if you dont have a ipod than sucks for you podcasts.i like how they have just about every show recorded and you can buy it up.i think they play over 250 different songs. thats talent.i love the standard basslines ryans got. i really like how they can go from play heavy to regee to a jimmy stewert to anything.covers are awsome they pick very very good tunes and play them all at the right time.very imprest

i think in 2-3 years there going to blow up :bassist:
    weird i dont know how big they are back home are they like moe. to me i seen moe. 23 times all at way bigger places than the pearl street night club, i like a small venue to just curious how big some of there shows are.

funny i seen some vid of ryan saying he looked up to moe. ha i think umph is more talented than moe. to this date.

i forgot whats a umphhead called whatsamcgee cant rememba

o ya dident they win the jammy awards wit best song In the kitchen
  10. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    1. if you dont have it get the bonnaroo 04 show off archive.org... moe and umphreys jam for a while on that show... its pretty sic

2. umphreak

3. they sure as hell did and they deserve it... that song is great

Ive watche wrapped around chicago about 8000 times since i got it on wednsday... must pimp umphreys dvd...
  11. Saw Umphrey's tonight, and caught Ryan from straight up in the front row against the stage. He was playing a green-to-black G&L 5 string through an A.M.P. and an Eden 1x15 and 2x10. That guy is a rockamafunk MONSTER.

Their jams where they call out key changes with hand signals are unreal. So. Intense.
  12. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I saw them on wensday in colombus. Stasic played the G&L in the 1st set but switched to Nick Blasky's (of Ray's Music exchange... He is a MONSTER player!) new spalted maple Roscoe for the 2nd set. It was the best show ive seen all year. They jammed with Nick on a Jazz Oddosey and it was Amazing. Cant wait untill new years
  13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Anyone going to see them Monday at their CD release show in Chicago?
  14. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I was going to go, but the tickets sold out in like 5 minutes :crying:

I guess i can wait on their 2 night stand at the canopy club :hyper:
  15. I'm listening to one of their concerts that you can download from their site. Awesome band.
  16. joelc1319

Sep 12, 2007
    I would like to revive this thread to say that after seeing Umphrey's for a second time the other night at Nokia Times Square, I believe Ryan Stasik is the current King of Groove. However, a lot of credit has to be given to Chris Myers and Andy Farag because the three of them combined round out one of the tightest rhythm sections I've ever heard!!