Ryder bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidmurphy, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Thi is probably more for the UK TB'ers but you never know....

I am one of the forgotten underclass in society ie, a left handed bassist, so my choices are fairly limited unless I order 1 in without having played it.
    A friend of mine recommended a shop that always has nice 2nd hand stuff so I went to have a look.
    I was shocked....TWO lefties & one of them was a Rickenbacker!

I figured, if it's good enough for Cliff Burton, it's good enough for me.
    Unfortunately I found the tone quite weak, sorry Cliff, & didn't think it'd cut it in our 3 piece slow, heavy rock band.

So I tried the other bass. It looked hideous (kind or orange/red) & when I picked it up it weighed a ton!
    Checked the back to see if it was active or passive.
    It had TWO 9v batteries in it.
    Plugged it in & the power was incredible & with 6 knobs you could really mess around with the tone.

Guy in the shop said it was custom made in England by Steve Ryder, I think.
    I checked their website but there was much info on anything.

I didn't buy it because I didn't know anything about them (reliability, how easy it is to fixed-especially if it's a custom with so much electrics in it) & the weight.
    Would probably make a great studio bass but not sure if I'd get use to the weight or sick of it.

Anyone know anything about them?

2. baronfloyd

baronfloyd

Dec 5, 2006
    I know this reply is probably a little too late for you, but I have only just joined.
    Ryder basses are fantastic. Steve Ryder is a top chap, I am bias because he made me a five string fretless (which is more a work of art than a bass - but it sounds truly awesome!)
    Bassist magazine borrowed my bass when it was new (1998) to review and they too commented on the weight. Maybe because of the custom made element of my particular bass but whilst it is heavy it is very well balanced and so one does not feel the weight even in the longest of sessions.
    The 2 x 9v batteries power the custom East pre-amp.
    Reliabilty - not an issue.
    Repairs - just give Steve a call, if something is wrong he would be mortified!

Hope this helps somebody :cool:

3. Cheers for the reply.
    I got a PM from another bass player in England who was raving about them.
    Haven't been to that shop since so I'm not sure if it's still there.
    I have a righty Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray that I'm looking to get rid of & he offered me a straight swap.
    I've only just got a G&L L2000 so I could probably do with the cash rather than another bass but I do love getting new gear!

Any idea how much they usually go for new or 2nd hand?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021