Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ryknow, Mudvayne's bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bigbad4string, Jun 14, 2001.

1. A perfect "1"-right up there with Cliff and Rex and Geezer

31 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. A not-too-shabby "2"-not as Godly as the oldies, but still pretty good

21 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. A kinda crappy "3"-this guy's a slugish, Stick a fork in him, he's done

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. HORRIBLE "4"-FIELDY CLONE!!! (How could you be so cruel?)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. He looks like a freak and I dont have any intrest in checking out his work.

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. Okay, I am tired of everyone saying that there aren't any good bassists anymore. I mean, I admit, Fieldy and quite a few others have done nothing to disprove this, but there is one who shines in my mind..........RYKNOW!!!! Although Mudvayne is a fairly new band, their bassist is phenominal.....He can really spank those strings man....C'mon, give props to the ryknow.......

2. he's got such great picking and slapping technique especially for the genre of music he's in. Great bass lines with melodies and counter-melodies. I give him the perfect 1. Well, not perfect but you know, he's great.

3. yeah baby yeah !

Mudvayne whoops ARSE !!!! :D :D

i love the way the bassplayer of mudvayne plays, but his costume needs a makeover.. he doesn't quite fit in with the others in terms of looks...

- adx -

b.t.w. if you want to hear a good bassplayer.. listen to the British band ' muse ' ( mp3's avail on request :D ).. their bassist really knows how to make good (!) use of effects.

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He´s great, perfect 1:)

5. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    He sticks out like a sore thumb in Mudvayne!! Just too awesome!!!

6. Perfect 1, man! Ryknow and Mudvayne kick balls.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I have a hard time with him because the horrible sounds coming from the rest of the band! So couldnt tell ya if he is good or not!

8. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    mudvayne isnt really my type of music, but i do respect their bassist, so i gave him a 2, not too shabby.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dont have a clue as to what they sound like, and I dont want too, I just cant take anyone that looks like that seriously. sorry

10. Dude, I hate the way that they look but I listen to them because Ryknow is so damn wicked. I rate him a "1" for being a shining light amongst all the other run of the mill metal bassists. My friend John interviewed Mudvayne while they were here in New Zealand for a magazine

11. I think he is really a kickass bassist.The songs I have downloaded of Mudvayne have been good...a bit harder than what I usually listen to,but good nonetheless.I think I would rather see them just be themselves sans makeup and all the stage crap.

12. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    he's awesome ... though sometimes to me, his playing seems a little out of place, but maybe that's just because i'm not used to actually hearing the bass play harder and more audible stuff than the guitar in this genre of music.

p.s. the guy who started this thread mentioned Rex .. i'm assuming he means Rex Brown from Pantera. i've only heard a few of their songs and i couldn't hear the bass AT ALL ! does anyone know some bass-heavy Pantera tunes ?

13. There aren't any.. the ego's of pantera's guitarist and drummer are too big..

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Didn't your mom ever tell you not to judge a book by it's cover?:)

15. Well.. I heard most of mudvayne´s songs and.. mm Is not SO bad... the songs have nice bass execution, but it´s not that impressive. It dind{t impress me at all.. I found the bass lines also a little bit limitated.. the songs are kind of monotomous in notes and scales.. The rest of the band members are kind of good.. but i´m sure that if the singer hadn´t ever listened to korn, he would be working at mcdonald´s or something like that.

I dont really consider that guy an impressively good bassist..

16. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Ughhhh.

Well, with that attitude you're bound to miss a great deal of great art dude.

Bah.
    /lovebown

17. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I'll give him a 1 ... but .. cliff , rex and geezer ? I like geezer and he was great but I don't consider him a god or anything .... I think cliff is over-rated and rex ...good but nothing special.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Rex is a very good bassist, and he does lots off "bass heavy" stuff on all the cd's. Ya just cant hear it well on alot of them.

The Far Beyond Driven Cd is thier best IMO...some good tunes to check out by them are, Cowboys From Hell, Cemetary Gates, NO Good (attack the radical) 5 minutes alone, Im broken, many others...

19. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I think he just learned a few slap things and he really goes on them! I know there is alot of bass players here that post that could take him very easy! I get worried when a bass player just does fast slap kinda things! If he was put in a place were he had to do a slow jazz thing he would probably be in trouble!

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Funny you should mention that...he used to be a jazz/fusionist...