Ryknow's (Mudvayne) tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, May 27, 2002.

1. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have the Mudvayne CD and have heard IMHO one of the best, if not the best, bassist ever... Ryan Martinie (Ryknow) taps, has AMAZING fingerstyle, and slaps, in mudvayne, a very hardcore metal band.. I have fallen in LOVE with his full, low, growly tone..... I was wondering if anyone could tell me what i could do to get anything similar to his tone (I have a 6string Ibanez Soundgear w/ 3-band active EQ, a Peavey Firebass Head and an Ampeg STV410HLF 'Classic' Cab.. i have a 7-band graphic eq also and a multi-effects pedal) . is there any effect that he uses, or what should i boost on my eq to get that effect. I don't have a Warwick Thumb (or the money to buy one) so i'm trying to make do without.

P.S. Also, i was wondering if there is any good distortion pedals anyone knows of that are reasonable priced.....

THanks so much,
  2. buy a used warwick thumb neck-thru.. ;) lol.

He uses Ampeg amps too. Most of his tone is his bass and from his playing. He plays everywhere on the bass so it's pretty hard to immitate his beautiful tone exactly. You can try though. :D
  3. If you go to www.guitargeek.com , it has his entire setup. From what I remember he doesnt use much more than compression. He is an intense player live and a great guy if you ever get the chance to talk to him.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i dig that ryan martinie tone....one of my fave bassists. he digs in pretty hard, and he seems to always play above the neck pickup...he also has this really aggressive technique-he attacks the strings at an almost straight down motion with his right hand fingers right where the neck meets the body. amplification comes courtesy of ampeg cabs/heads, and the only effect he uses is a compressor. awesome bassist...
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i was always told that tone is really from how you attack the strings.
    there is one tone that i want sssooooo bad and i can't get it!
    teh bassist from Phantom Planet.
    it sounds so good!
    o well.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I just now got it --rhino--
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i bet his mama calls him ryan....i call him ryan, too.
  8. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    the mudvayne live dvd, his tone is fabulous, and they rock live!
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, i got it...and the dig dvd as well...
  10. [dfire]knight

Mar 30, 2002
    bend, or
    can anyone tell me if the thumb BO sounds like the neck through one?
  11. Nope, they sound little alike. The BO is also balanced much more poorly. I think the tone is a little crisper, but the NT Thumb sound is just classic.
  12. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    does anyone know how he sets his eq?
  13. Scooped mids.
  14. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, what peter said....on both accounts.
  15. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    so.... is there any bass Overdrive or distortion pedals that anyone can refer?
  16. In response to ikickuintheballs, I do know that he uses Ampeg live. But if I'm not mistaken, the setup he used to record LD50 was an SWR SM900 running thru an EA 2x10 cab.
  17. kurotenshi

Jun 27, 2009
    Amadora, Portugal
    SourceAudio Endorser
    Hi guys, I'm going to bump this up since, in my last rehearsal, while trying one more time to get a tone that would sound good in our songs, I ended up with something some what familiar (still not exactly what I'd like thought). Latter I got it, it was something Mudvaynish, maybe due to the fact that I started to include slap in the bass line and went back to aggressive fingers instead of pick.
    Details aside, Peter said Ryan uses scoop mids and i've seen there is no dist/OD either. Here's the thing, warwicks are middy and growly by nature (so i've heard) right? so in a bass that isn't one should not scoop so much right? and should maybe add some dist/OD to get the growl out of it right?
    Please comment on this so that I can (finally) get a tone to fit the songs.
  18. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I love that guy's tone for a definitive modern bass sound. Active pickups with compression get you on the road to it.
  19. Plus, with that dbx compressor will add some "growl effect" too.