1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rythm and Time Signatures confuse me :(

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Anyone have a good page that wraps around the basics of understanding time signatures and rythm and stuff? Because, for some unknown reason, I find these things very difficult to comprehend. Stuff like double time, and compound time signatures. I know what 4/4 means, or maybe I think I do but I probably don't.

I'm bad at division :( Maybe that's why :(

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The top number is the number of beats in a bar. The bottom number is the type of note that gets 1 beat.

4/4 - 4 beats in a bar, 1/4 or quarter note gets one beat.

12/8 - 12 beats in a bar, 1/8 or eight note gets one beat.

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Try learning the basics of reading standard notation and practicing some basic rhythms with a metronome.

Apologies I cant point you in the right direction for this. Your local music store will have a $10 book that will show you the very basics - some of these books are very good, very clear and easy to grasp.

These things are key I think. I'm only getting to stage where I understand how rhythm works on a basic level... only a few weeks back someone on TB (moley) explained compound time to me. Coincedentally my band are now playing two tracks in 12/8.

It's not rocket science, but getting a teacher and understanding how it is written will really help - it certainly helped me.

4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Okay, I have the basic concept of time signatures down. But one thing confuses me, is there any diffirence between playing 4/4 in eighth notes and 4/8?

Also, is there any theory to making people shake thier butts? I want to start a industrial dance metal band.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Albini,

Just a couple of notes;

Double Time / Cut Time:
    -used primarily for pieces where the tempo would have to be almost beyond comprehensibility if written in 4/4

4/4 or 4/8??
    -the latter would mean; 4 beats per measure and 1/8th notes receive one beat... that would leave any 1/4 notes = 2 beats (normally that of 1/2 notes), and so on to the "whole note" getting 8 beats??? Addtionally, 4/8 = 1/2 (4 goes into the top # once and the bottom # twice), a time signature I have yet to have seen written out. Hence the first reply - Cut Time... doest this help you out??

michael s.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Bzzzt! Thanks for playing.

Cut time would be written as 2/2, two beats to the bar, half note gets the beat. Don't try to use mathematic principles with time signatures, the two don't mix.

Albini - the only difference between 4/4 and 4/8 time is the way it's written. (Although 4/8 implies a faster tempo, it's not a rule) You wouldn't be able to tell the difference by listening.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    PacMan,

Good eye! I stand corrected... I haven't seen Cut Time written as a time signature fraction. (usually indicated by a 'C' with a vertical line (|) running through it) Although, despite my practice to count it as 1, and, 2, and, 1, and,... your 2/2 signature, is certainly accurate.

Tanks for pointed that up... michael s.

8. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN