rythm is the bass and the bass is the treble

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Dec 3, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Now that my band is broke up and over, the drummer and I are meeting 2 new guys to audition Tuesday. Anyway, I can now go back to my favorite style of bass playing (which never fit the music my old band did). High treble. Kind of like Chris Squire, but more trebely. Anyone else like to kick in the high treble? And if you do, what do you think is the best kind of amp for that effect? I am looking for a new one.
  2. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    You might want to change your instrument... to a guitar.

I love you, JWC, but I still had to say that. I'm sorry.
  3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    furtim, i love you too man, but don't ever let me catch you telling me to switch to the...guitar! please brother.

no, a high treble bass sound ain't gonna be achived with a guitar man. listen to some Yes or some Primus to see what I am talking about. i always have just thought its a great sound. you still have the low end feel, but you are in somewhat of a different playing context.
  4. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I love high treble too JWC. When I do turn the treble up, I get looks of horror from the guitarists - they don't like it when the bass player tries to infringe on their territory. Finally, after about 18 months of trying, I managed to find a decent, trebly sound coming from my carboard box of an amp. I love it when you get a good sound high up the neck, and then drop down to get a nice, fat bottom end.

Well, JWC, I wish you well with your new band after the last one. If you're doing high trebly stuff, why don't you just get another bass player to play low, and just not bother with a guitarist at all? It would solve a lot of problems!
  5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    yawnsie, thats a great idea man! i wish i could!!!!
  6. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    That's what Cop Shoot Cop did for a few records; low bass and high bass, no guitar. Worked really well.

7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Get a piccalo bass. Or cut lows on your amp & boost highs. I don't really have a use for it but it is something. For jazz band i cut the highs. thats all
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The word "rhythm" is spelled R-H-Y-T-H-M.

That's always bothered me.
  9. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Okay, I get it. I'm so sorry, JWC. Please forgive me. =)