Rythym and Blues, anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Most rock and metal musicians today seem to hate R&B, hell, just looking on this board I see people who hate R&B. I agree that most modern R&B lacks what Motown or Stax had, but I think it's really stupid to categorize new R&B as ALL R&B. Although my R&B section isn't very big, I got to say I love the '60s-'70s stuff.

My albums include:
    *James Brown - Funk Power (1970: Brand New Thang)
    *Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    *Isaac Hayes - Greatest Hit Singles
    *Curtis Mayfield - The Very Best of...
    *Parliament - Best of...
    *Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits

Just wanted to know what the TBers think of classic R&B...
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If someone wants to characterize me as an "R&B bassist"...
    I'd have no problem with that.

The very first 3 albums I "bought"(Hell, I was in 5th Grade...I really didn't "buy" anything)-
    1)Led Zeppelin-II
    3)Jackson 5-ABC

What do they have in common? R&B!
    1)JPJ of Led Zep is heavily influenced by American R&B(Jamerson).JPJ was creative enough to fuse it within a Hard Rock/Blues environment.
    2)David Brown of Santana; an R&B player that fused his stuff into a Latin/Rock environment.
    3)The J5 is all R&B(not sure who actually played on that record...NOT Jermaine, though!). :D

Rock musicians dissing R&B?!...really, they're not being very honest with themselves. Or maybe they just need a lesson or two in music history. I dunno.

***A few of us at this site have been rapping about Mandrill('70s R&B/Funk/Latin/Rock group outta NYC)***
    If you're looking to beef up your R&B collection, check them out!
  3. two words
    Jerry Jermont

two more
    Duck Dunn
  4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I cannot imagine anyone hating R&B. I grew up listening to it...and it is definitely part of my playing.
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Are you kidding, i cut my teeth (figuratively speaking) on Bootsy Collins, The Isley Brithers, Earth Wind and Fire, The Ohio Players, Parlament, The Brothers Johnson, and most all the Motown sound. One cannot deny the influence of R&B in all our playing.
  6. I began my bassist life as a hard rocker but over the years my appreciation of other styles of music grew. Now I love R&B, Disco and funk since the bass has such an important role. I just love the feel of playing it since I would classify myself as a groove player!
  7. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    One of the first, if not THE first bassline that I learned was " Rescue Me ".

I still dig playing this tune!!
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I filled in for a year and a half in a 10 piece R&B band with a full 4 sometimes 5 piece horn section two female backup singers and a keyboard player/singer and drummer and guitar. It was the greatest experiance playing that I ever had, I have never felt so connected to a rythym section before this.
    I want to put together this type of band but the one problem is that this type of band becomes a revolving door of musicians in the year in a half I was in the band including me I seen 6 players come and go out of the band. Unreal!
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
    With 10 people in a band-
    1)Too many personalities(re: conflicts)
    2)Not enough $$$ to go around.

6 members would be cool(drums, bass, guitar, 2 horns, & keys).
  10. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    FWIW, I've had several young bass players ask what they should listen to in order to improve. Most have their Limp Bisquick or canned Korn CDs and want me to teach them their favorite licks. But I always tell them the one piece of advice I got that always stuck with me (at least the one piece I can remember!): Beg, borrow, or steal ANYTHING by James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Wilson Pickett, et al. He also said if you want to play with the record player the rest of your life (OK, I'm old. The CD player), learn ONLY the music you like. If you want to be a guy everybody calls when they need a bass player, learn blues, country, jazz, and anything else "outside your box", no matter what your taste. I can still remember the first time I heard "Midnight Hour"...
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I grew up mainly with R&B and listened to everything else, too. I think I've developed a rep (if I have one) in this area as a chameloen, with the ability to play whatever's called for. While I'm no heavy hitter when it comes to real Jazz (hope I don't piss anyone off with that term) picture a bass player who grew up in the 60's-70's and listened to (and can recall and play:D) tunes by:

Any Top 40 group of the day
    Easy Listening (Lawrence Welk, Percy Faith, Burt Bacharach, etc.)
    Old School R&B, Funk, etc.
    Any Rock
    Any Country
    Any light classical
    light or progressive Jazz
    Jazz Fusion
    etc. etc. etc.

I haven't concentrated as much as I could on new music because, quite frankly what I hear is okay.

So yes, I play R&B, both old and new. The thing that I still find flat out amazing (in old R&B and other genres back then) is what people could do, how much they could say, in only a 2 minutes and 30 second recording.

*there are exceptions, but they are in the minority. I'm a sponge.
  12. Good news, just got a Booker T. and the MGs cd ;). Duck Dunn is such a good bass player, he makes all the songs have this bad ass groove, it's really cool. Anyone like D'Angelo? I think he's bringing back that classic R&B vibe to the mainstream, plus Pino kicks ass on the low end too.
  13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Good though short article in BP on one of my favorites, Raphael Saddiq, of Tony Toni Tone' and more recently Lucy Pearl. The Tony's did the 70's better than some of the groups in the 70's. He worked with D'Angelo, too.
  14. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Its pretty sad what is considered R&B these days.
    Uh, the guy that does the thong song? Th, thong th thong thong thong. Thats what rolling stone mag would call R&B.
    I better not even get started on the pop music culture.

Just to add to what JimK said.
    Most people dont really consider John Paul Jones an R&B bass player. But that is exactly what he is. And a killing one at that. Check out the lemon song. Now that is some great R&B, funk bass playing. You can really hear the Jamerson influence there. All of Led Zep II is great.

15. yea i just picked up that new D'Angelo disk 2 weeks ago
    pretty smooth and funky.
    i got it after seeind D'Angelo on tv and then seeing Pino standing behind him
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Pino seems to be having a ball playing around the beat.
  17. Anybody got any R&B reccomendations? As you can see, my list ain't that big, and I have a few "must haves" on my list.
  18. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    the motown single collection
    It's a boxset, a little expensive but it worth it.
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You can pick up that Motown box relatively "cheap" if you're a member of either Columbia House or BMG.

Couple of my favorites-
    Aretha Franklin-YOUNG, GIFTED, & BLACK
    -Chuck Rainey on bass

Average White Band-CUT THE CAKE or SOUL SEARCHING
    -Alan Gorrie & Hamish Stuart on bass

From today-
    Groove Collective's stuff
    Liquid Soul's 2nd & 3rd cds
    Brand New Heavies
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is the problem with the term. Ask somebody over 30 and they will quote a lot of the stuff mentioned already in this thread. But if you ask a teenager in the UK about "R&B" they will assume you mean stuff like the Jello mentions. That is, usually although not always slow ballads with programmed drums and bass, by artists usually chosen for their looks rather than talent and heavily "produced" by a team of older pros, to sound soulful. Most of those in the UK aspire to sound like R. Kelly in one of his "soupy" ballads - this is what they mean by R&B.

D'Angelo seems to be the only person anyobody quotes if they are trying to argue a case for "modern R&B", but one person doesn't make a difference to the vasy majority of teenagers, who just want a "romantic" tune that they can "dance " to and make close contact with the opposite sex! ;)