1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

?'s About Carvin BX1200 in Bridge Mode

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnewmark, Sep 23, 2010.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Going to be getting a good deal on a Carvin BX1200. I will be using the Bridge mode into an 8 ohm cab. I thought I read somewhere that with this amp, the Speakon cable did NOT need to be wired for " bridge " , but that a regular Speakon cable can be used. True? Also, since the Amp 1 power knob, the Master, and the Drive all come into play in Bridge mode, where do you guys usually set thesse controls ? Just looking for clean headroom here, no overdrive in my tone goals.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

No experience with the BX1200 but all my Carvin amps have three speakons. One for each power amp and a third in the middle for bridge. A regular +1,-1 cable is all you need. I do have the BX1500.

You should only use a speakon to speakon cable in bridge for safety.

Paul

3. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Yup, switch it into bridge mode and use the middle speakon with a regular cable and you're golden.

4. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Do you use bridge mode ? Just wondering how to set the three controls, Drive, Amp 1 volume and Master.

5. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    It is like seasoning meat. Add salt to taste. I bet all of us BX users have them all set differently. Amp1 and Master are only volume, so how loud do you want to be before your cab farts out? The drive does add volume and a tad bit of grit, but I can hardly tell if its doing anything. My drive is a noon just so I feel I'm not not using it. I know, sounds stupid.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Pretty much as RNV says. I don't use the drive control at all. I'm looking for a clean flat response. Being somewhat aged I hated the distortion we old farts had to put up with. My EQ is set flat and none of the bells and whistles get used.

Paul

7. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I usually keep Amp 1 (the now bridged power amp) set about 100 watts below the max wattage of the cab I'm using.

Drive will dirty up the tone, but keeping at zero may be too clean. For your needs you should probably keep it low or at zero.

Master is something that is best changed to suit the venue/whatever. As stated before it's how loud you are. Adding drive will increase the volume.

8. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    I was perusing the Carvin forums, and one user kept his Master dimed, while using the amp1 volume sparingly, as it ( he claimed ), gave the amp more clean headroom, while not driving the amp too hard. :confused:

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

How on earth do you do that??

Paul

10. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Any other BX1200 users care to chime in ?

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I find that to achieve the cleanest tone is to set the Master on full, and then bring up the Amp 1 knob to your volume level, and also keep the Drive control set fairly low.

Think of the Amp 1 as Pre-Gain. The higher it is set relative to the Master the more overdriven the sound will be.

Personally, I like more grind in my sound. I drive my 210/6 (sometimes two 210/6 cabs) fairly hard to get more naturally compressed lows and the Drive is about 3/4. While I don't bridge (because I bi-amp my two tens with the 6" mid), my Amp 1 is at about 5 or 6 while my Master is anywhere from 3 to 7 depending on volume needed.

IMO, the Drive control actually does give it some definite grind, but you won't notice it much unless you keep the Master lower and the Amp 1 higher. When you have the BX1200 set up for a clean tone the Drive control only seems to boost volume and does little else.

12. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Thanks. I'm noodling around with different settings into my LDS 112/tweeter cab. It has a 3012LF and a Selenium 200 watt tweeter. This is my rehearsal rig, so I would really have to get it to that space and then tweak it for the room, so I just wanted a general idea of where/how to set it it. It's kinda funny, but when I had the BX500 for awhile, I liked the Graphic EQ better than the Para on that amp. With the BX1200, I like the para better ( same cab ). Also, the compressor on the 1200 does'nt seem as sensitive as the one on the 500. Right now, I'm liking the Master up full and using Amp 1 as the volume, no Drive, but, either way, I can't tell much of a difference.

13. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I go for a warm vintage sound. BX1200 into an Aguilar GS112 (amp 1), and amp 2 runs into an Avatar B210 Neo. Amp 1 volume is at about 1.5 pointed at the drummer to keep him happy. Amp 2 is my stage monitor. Amp 2 volume about 4-5. Master 5-7. Drive off. Contour off. Compressor off. Low-mid para bumped 2-3 db. Sometimes bump the low para about 2 db. Tweeters on both cabs barely cracked on.

Graphic EQ: Cut 1.3k about 4db, cut 125db 2-3 db. Yes, that sounds like a conflict with the parametric, right? I find cutting the 125k on the graphic takes out that honky sound Jazz basses can produce.

Just started running a VT Deluxe into the input for tube sounds from tame to dirty. Have not tried it in the effects loop yet, as I like the ability to tweak Carvin preamp.

I send a signal from the XLR on the Carvin into the PA (Mackie cabs and subs). Big sound out front, medium volume on stage.

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm going to play around with those settings myself. I have two cabs also and prefer bi-amping.
    :ninja:

15. I run mine bridged into a LoPhat 1x12 8ohm, tweeter off. Much like the others, I run it flat. Drive off, contour off, more Master that amp 1. No para mids or Eq. Though I'm also gonna mess with that 125 cut.

Any other mods to sound are done via the footswitch from my pedals in the effects loop. I frikkin' love my BX1200!

16. So I tried a variation of your little trick at rehearsal yesterday. I dialed down those tones with the parametrics instead of the Graphic eq and was really happy with the results. I like a lower end as opposed to the mid honk buzz saw sound and this went a long way towards getting me where I wanted to be.

We record everything, and I was really happy with where I was yesterday compared to previous rehearsals. Thanks for the tip!

17. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I'm looking to pick up a BX1200 soon and will be running it through one Avatar B212 and an Avatar B210. The B212 is the newer 8 ohm Neo model with speakon, the B210 is the older version also 8 ohms with 1/4 connection. Whats the best way of hooking these up to the BX1200 to get the maximum output?

18. Run the amp bridged, connect the speakon from the head to the 2X12, then use a 1/4 speaker cable from the 2X12 to the 2X10

19. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I run mine bridged setting at Amp 1 @10 o'clock, drive @2-1/2 and run this into a Accugroove cab, I put on the bridged switch and use the CENTER Speakon output only...
    NOW I also run this into a SWR Megoliath and run the amp dual powered and run high into top 4-10 w/horn and the low into bottom 4-10.....I use the crossover and I "LOVE" the tone....you can get a great tone from this head no matter if bridged or not...Good luck and have fun finding your sound.

20. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I just got my BX 1200 today. Cant wait to use it. I have a question concerning Speakon use. I already have a Speakon cable that I used with a fender preamp and a QSC amp. Its a NL2FC speakon cable. It has a + sign on both ends. Can I use this cable for my amp to my Accugroove" El Whappo? I will be running it Bridged. I do know that I have to use the middle of the 3 Speakon jacks and the "amp bridge" switch must be on. Thanks in advance.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021