S/D Bassists #87 - A New Gear Argument

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The_Janitor, Feb 24, 2014.

1. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    That's kinda what in thinking. Only bad part is one guitar player lives out of town so really getting nerd will never happen.

2. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Go for a head with more headroom, get more fundametnal low end and let the guitarists fight over the mids.

3. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Lol what my buddy just said that came to the show. Said I was "thin" but I told him I was thing to grind thru the mix. Kinda like that track I posted earlier from dub trio. Only other amp I have is the SVT and technically not louder but prolly has more in the low end dept. f***in metal music, lol

4. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    The SVT is louder. stop reading bar graphs.

and its lower. again, see above about bar graphs.

if you have an ampeg SVT and 2 810s with the volume past 2pm, and you cant be heard, something is seriously wrong haha.

5. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I've always said I think one if the few amps rated at 300w that sounds loud like a SVT is the GK 800rb. And I'm not a bar graph nerd. I'm too A.D.D. For that shiz. And yeah the SVT is sonically louder and lower then the GK but I don't feel like it's greatly louder. That boost on the GK is a magic little knob to be utilized.

6. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    i had an 800RB, i never cranked it tho so i dont know, but if the breakup sounds like normal SS then id hate it. if its got old Sunn/Acoustic breakup im sure its sweet. i used one at our last show in place of my SC150 and it sounded solid.

7. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I put those clips up along time ago and I like the GK break up. You can use the low cut button so it doesn't sound like garbage when you go distorto. Granted it lost to a dirt off against a v4b but it held a decent candle to it. Looks like I deleted the clips off my soundcloud too, ADD/OCD

8. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Holy ****ing **** balls, 50 degrees and sunny outside, feels like mid 70s.

9. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Bummer of a show in York this weekend. That city always depresses the **** out of me.

10. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    COFFINWORM

New Coffinworm is streaming on stereogum. I'm 1 track in so far, but it's pretty sweet.

We played with them awhile back, good stuff.

11. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu All you need is fuzz.

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hell yeah. Had to get out stretch my legs with a lunch hour run, though it's uber sloppy outside.

12. Soon as I cross over the Potomac River Bridge I get depressed, once I pass Harriburg on 81 I feel better like a bat out of hell.

13. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Poor turnout? York isn't exactly a mecca of live music.

14. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Turnout was what could be expected. We had some hardware issues but the crowds were just not into it. We cleared the floor which almost never happens.

We didn't even bother setting the merch up.

What makes that town so depressing?

15. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Just picked up a 14" band saw, dust collector and a buffing wheel for $600 off CL. The band saw by itself goes for over $700 new, it was a good score, next best thing to new gear. One step closer to home woodworking shop.

16. Congrats! I spent hours yesterday handsanding a a neck heal for that 72 Tele body with P90s. I should of just put a Squier neck on that Squier body but I wanted a Strat headstock on a Tele body LOL. Trimming Fender specs down to Squier specs by hand is time consuming LOL.

17. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    hey 8x10 guys - what's yer favourite speakers?

18. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Stock ;)

19. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just got done at my first day of the new big boy job. Lots of paper work, and it being slow in our department today, didn't do much but sit on my ass, but I guess it gets nucking futs sometimes. I think I'm going to like it there. Tomorrows my first day of waking up at 4am for the full 5-330 shift. Well see how waking up is.

So much Star Wars talk, so little time.

20. Which 810?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021