S/D Bassists #87 - A New Gear Argument

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The_Janitor, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Assuming you mean a sealed ampeg 810. I really like the Legend B810 for a classic tone with some added lows. However I do recommend an HPF with those speakers.

2. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    I got called in for an interview at the local UPS site. First actual contact since I started looking for a different line of work. Whatever, I'll take it. My resume only has strip clubs on it so I can't be too choosy. It's for a part time package sorter so it won't get me out of the clubs but the hours are 3 am to 9 am two times a week so I'll just do it after DJing and have both jobs... If I get hired.

I'm at work now and will be until about 2:30 am and my interview is at 7 am. It's going to be a long day-night-day. At least if I get it I will have my foot in the door of a real company. After 24 years in strip clubs I'm not getting much love.

3. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    It's hard to climb the strip club corporate ladder once your boobies start sagging.

4. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    Paging dunwich to build a KT88 powered career perkulator

5. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    son of a bitch I hate the talkbass app - yeah, sealed ampeg 810 design - building my own on the cheap, better than buying new or used in NZ.

6. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    Replied to a Craigslist ad for a Orange crush CR50BXT combo amp. Guy was asking $255. Said it was new in box. Then this happened:

Me: I'm interested, but these are $269 brand new... would you consider $200?

Him: Did you miss the part it says " brand new in the box"? This is a new item and tax free

Me: Yeah I read that. But the unfortunate reality is you're not a music store. So that means it's used. There's no telling how much it has or hasn't been used. The fact that you're selling it in the box only shows that you kept the original packaging. I'm seeing these used for around $180. My offer is completely fair. Most people on Craigslist try to only pay half of original retail on used gear($140) or what things are going for used on eBay or at guitar center.($180)
    These are $269 brand new and tax free on amazon.
    If you change your mind you have my email. Thanks.

Him: Thank you for calling me a liar! Please buy it from Amazon!

Me: Wow. Yeah nevermind man. I didn't call you a liar. I didn't even infer it. If anything I was pointing out that your asking price was unrealistic. Calmdownman. Good luck.

7. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    That guy is gonna regret being a dickhead 3 months down the road and he's still trying to sell that amp lol.

8. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    What a dork...

9. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    And this is me trying to fall asleep the earliest ever since like 3rd grade...

Dopersmoker at low volume.

10. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx

Stock. My 810 is late 90's. No clue what speakers. It sounds different than brand new ones...

11. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx

It's been up for a while. I think he's recreated the ad once or twice. So yeah.

12. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010

Yeah, I see that on forums, ebay and CL pretty frequently. "New in box" selling for the new retail price minus tax and shipping. If you're selling anything and you're not a store...it's used. Maybe you take $10 off it, doesn't have to be half price, but selling it at a new price is unrealistic. Seeing as how stores have return policies and a customer service department.

13. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA

There is actually 5 variations on speakers used in ampeg cabs over the years. FYI this is from what I gather and may not be entirely accurate

1. Linden/magnavox CTS era from '69- '79
    2. Mti-skunkworks era (no idea :) )
    3. Early slm eminence late 80's to mid late 90's (slightly brighter then latter speaker)
    4. Later slm eminence late 90's to mid 00's (darker sounding cabs)
    5. Loud tech mid 00's to present (Supposedly superior to all slm era but still eminence speakers.)

Also to note most ampeg cabs are plywood other then most of the slm history when they were made of MDF (boogerwood) :)

14. +1

This lines up with what I have seen.

I second the B810. The BP102's might work, but are going to be a darker speaker.

What speakers are easy/cheap to get in NZ?

15. twhitedc

twhitedc

Feb 19, 2011
    NJ
    When I refinished my 76 810, I was able to get 8 of the darker era SLM speakers for about $35 a piece, new. I think It sound marvelous for playing heavy music.

16. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    Actually there's two Ampeg 810 speakers on Houston Craigslist. $25 per speaker.

17. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA

its really funny but ive never had an experience like this on craigslist and ive bought countless things on there. ive dealt with some strange people along the way but never the rude people with crazy prices. maybe its cause when i see a price like that i try to avoid them because i know off the bat that theyre a ****ing idiot and ill just end up getting into a conversation like the one you posted, but im glad my Clist dealings are pretty good.

18. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Oh I've definitely had that experience. Multiple times. The worst was when the guy started posting my public information on craigslist and I had to make a fake account and lead this guy on for a month to find out where he lived and put the fear of god into him. I'm pretty sure that's when someone gave me the nickname Mr. Personality :p

19. New thread title?

20. Page 50 gents, time for a clever new thread title
    S/D Bassists #88 - Craigslist defies depreciation

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021