1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

S.D. CURLEE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigBud, Sep 30, 2008.

1. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Those of you in the know.....tell me what you know about S.D.Curlee basses. Interested in any facts or opinions you might have........Thanks, Bud

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I've had an S.D.Curlee for several years that is identical to the one pictured in the Wiki cite by "Fenderhutz", except mine is a natural maple body. I enjoy playing it and refer to it, for obvious reasons, as my "3 Stooges" bass. :cool:

3. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Once upon a time when the world indulged in the finer aspects of spandex and I had a few more hairs:

I have an old guitar magazine somewhere that had an ad for them in it that I'll have to dig up. I always wanted one. Still do, in fact, but I'm a lefty and they're impossible to find. They were constructed oddly, as I think the neck extended all the way through the bass body. The necks also didn't taper at all from nut to heel, as far as I know.

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks for sharing the video "pjmuck." The one he's using is the little fancier version of mine with additional pickups and 2 more controls. :cool:

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    It was a bolt-on neck that extended into the body all the way up to the bridge, so that both ends of the strings were anchored on the same piece of wood -- similar to a neck-thru in that regard, but without having to shape a neck heel or make the laminate run the entire length of the instrument. Travis Bean did the same thing, only using aluminum instead of maple.

That sounds correct. I owned one for a few years in the early 1980's, and borrowed another for a recording session in the mid-80's, and both of them had an almost broomstick-like feel, very round, thin, and identically sized from end to end.

I should dig up some old pics of me playing the Curlee & post them here, that would totally ruin my reputation!

6. xbassmanx

xbassmanx

Jul 29, 2007
    Here's an SD Curlee I am holding onto for my brother.
    He picked it up in the 80's in Wisconsin (I think).

It has a pair of Dimarzio model P's wired with series/parallel switches.
    32ish scale and pretty comfy, but if you're a slapper there is not a good place for poppin cause the neck pup sits near the fretboard.

[​IMG]