1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

S E Bristow Bass Bow - Opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by johnfowles, Jul 31, 2008.

1. johnfowles

johnfowles

Jul 31, 2008
    Hi Everyone.

First off, I just want to say hi. This is my first post on talkbass, but I've been reading the posts for quite a while.

I'm about to invest in a good quality bow. I only really have 2 considerations. I have £2000 ($3963) to spend and it must be french.

I quite like the idea of buying locally produced material so I started my search in the UK. The one that has caught my eye the most is a bow by SE Bristow (Link). He describes it as:

He is asking £1850 for the bow. I just wondered if anyone has seen this guys work, or can advise me. I plan to get this bow on approval if anyone can convince me!

Anyway, thanks again.
    John

2. johnfowles

johnfowles

Jul 31, 2008
    Just thought I'd upload some pictures if anyone can give comment to the manufacture.

Again, many thanks for any help.
    John

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Felessan

Felessan

May 4, 2004
    Long Beach, CA
    Any bow can look nice... not many play so nice. :rollno:

Play the bow. Get someone who is VASTLY more experienced--and critical--than yourself (there's always someone) to help keep your perceptions valid. Have them listen to the bow, and play the bow themselves so you can listen to it. Perform side-by-side comparisons, and switch bows often--this will help weed out the differences between bows more quickly. Once you have something you like, spend some time to really get to know it before you drop down that kind of money. Again, don't let your "enthusiasm" goad you into buying something that you will just replace in a year.

All that said, do whatever you want! Good luck!

-Trevor

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent advice, IMO

Louis

5. johnfowles

johnfowles

Jul 31, 2008
    I agree! Thanks for the level head Felessan! I'm getting 4 different bows around a similar price on approval. I'm taking them to my luthier and my teacher. Letting them play them and getting their opinion.

Many thanks again for the good, solid advice!

Cheers,
    John

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021