1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

S.I.T. Power Steel opinions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Copycat, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Looking for a stainless roundwood five string set in 45/65/80/00/125 and I saw these S.I.T. Power Wound Steel or Power Steel (depends on whether you're looking at the package or the description when it comes to the actual name) for under $20 a set on juststrings.com. $18 and change to be exact. Wondered if anybody here had used them and if so, your experiences/impressions were.

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm a big SIT fan. I think their strings are terrific for the price. I favor Silencers on my Warwick and PowerSteels on my Soundgear. My Soundgear is all bootylicious low end and nothing else, so the Power Steels really tighten the tone up. They're also, to me, relatively smooth for steels and not unyieldingly stiff. I've played nickel rounds and even compression wounds (Kerly Kues, Smith Compressors- both horrid horrid strings) and those ravaged my fingers more than SIT PowerSteels do.

They aren't going to feel as "boutique" as premium/expensive strings like DR, Ritter Swordsteels, or Infelds, but when compared to other comparable brands like D'Addario, Dean Markley, or GHS, I think SIT completely crushes them. I've never had a set of SIT's I didn't like. I've only used PowerSteels on my Ibanez and totally regret using anything other than Silencers on my Warwick (besides the Silencers, I've had Ernie Ball Slinkys, Ken Smith Compressors, Infeld Superalloys, Ritter Swordsteels, and DR nickel Lo-Riders.) For the brief time I played a 6-string, SIT PowerWounds were my string of choice.

What can I say? To my ears and fingers, SIT has felt and sounded better to me than even really expensive premium brands and they're worlds better than other comparable brands IMO.

Your mileage may vary, of course. My personal favorites in the SIT family are the Silencers. They feel so smooth, have a tension point to my liking, and sound killer whether I play fingerstyle, slap, or with a pick.

3. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Really helpful. Thanks. My situation right now involves rerecording a lot of the bass tracks on a CD the band I just joined wants to release fairly soon, and the person engineering/producing wants me to put fresh strings on constantly, so the savings, as long as the S.I.T. steels are decent (and your response indicates that they certainly are) would be welcome. That's a weird gauge, too, so I'm just putting on a set of Ken Smith Rock Masters for the first time but was looking for other alternatives. Thanks again. I think I'll pick up a couple of sets. I tried Silencers on a fretless a while back and thought they compared favorably to DR Sunbeams. So again, thanks for your POV.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    lots of smaller boutique builders use SIT on all new basses, G&L ship with SIT. SIT manufactures strings sold under other brand names... etc etc etc

I've mostly switched to their other Steel Strings (Rock Bright Stainless)... I've never tried the ones you are looking at but would expect them to be similar to what I'm using.

http://www.sitstrings.com/product1.htm

5. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Based on the two responses, I just put in an order for a set of the Power Steels and a set of the stainless Rock Brights. I figured that I'd compare, since both sets are very wallet-friendly ($18.83 and $24.66, respectively). Since S.I.T. seems to go with the gauge I'm after as their standard fiver gauge on most of their sets, it seems that they're in tune, no pun intended, with my preferences.

6. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Good choice....and i agree with Dincrest on the silencers.They are all i will play hands down the best string for the buck i have ever played. Silencers feel great and have great tone no matter if you pick or use fingers.SIT is here in my hometown and i had a bad D string once in pack a while back. I e- mailed them about it and they sent me a new pack of silencers no questions asked.

7. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I've never played the Power Steels, but the Silencers are AMAZING strings for the price . . . definitely worth a look if you don't want to drop an extra $10-15 for DR strings . . . and they sound great.

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I use the SIT rock bright strings on my P bass. The strings are nice a stiff which is good if you like very low action and they sound great.

9. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Excellent. Sounds like tension and sound are going to have me favoring the Rock Brights. Can't wait to try them now. Thanks.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    You just can't go wrong with SIT. I love them.

11. vitch

vitch

Apr 27, 2006
    My Benavente SCB 5 string came with Sit Rock Brights. I thought my bass was a bit tooooo bright with them on.
    I switched to DM SR2000's Will Lee, and really love that combo. I really believe wood, finish, etc has more effect on your tone, than the strings. You have to match the strings to your woods and style of playing. Really got some great ideas from Bass Player Mag in 04? They used several basses, and several setups and tested a ton of strings.
    vitch

12. Hmm. I always thought they were a cheapo/unpopular brand, but now I'll have to look into these...

On the SIT site, it says the silencers are great for fretless, has anyone tried them on a fretted?

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I had them on my fretted 5 briefly... like worn in nickel rounds IMO

here is a track I recorded with them in 2003.
    (my server is being weird, if you don't get a 4 minute song, reload the link.)

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like them on my fretted '97 Warwick Corvette Standard. As I said, it adds, smoothness and fatness to the tone without taking away the growl.

15. ChrisdFlip

ChrisdFlip Gold Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2006
    USA
    +1 for SIT Power Steel stainless. I've yet to try the Rock Brights even though I might find them too bright for my taste.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use SIT Strings On 95% of the Basses I use ,I use the Rock brights,the power steels and the Silencers on one of my 78 Sting ray.I use them on my 8 strings,my Sub contra etc.They seem to last a while and maintain a freshness to them.I use a very very light gauge on most of my Bass and a medium set on a couple of my Basses.most people that hear or play my Bass seem to like the sound of the strings and when I say that their made by a company called SIT,they usually say that they've never heard of them.you really couldn't tell that they cost a little less than most of the more house hold names because they sound great.

17. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    As i posted above it is all i use on my 5 and 4 fretted and i love the tone and feel of them the best strings for the buck i have ever used.

18. lowfreq1

lowfreq1

Mar 26, 2006
    Stockholm Sweden
    I use SIT Power Steel, Roto 66 and D'Addario EXL170-5 ...on my basses. Great strings!

19. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    What is the difference between power steels and the rock brights?
    I have used rock brights and love them but never tried the other.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

with out revealing to much.

Power steels use primary(main line)stainless steel.

the Rock brights also use the same stainless steel but are electrically fused and everything below a .65 gauge is a compound wrap(two or more layers of wire have been wound on the string core).

and this method below the .65 gauge applies to the Power steels as well.

so you get the power steels that are not electrically fused and the Rock brights which are.