1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

S or HB for 'acoustic' tone ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vintager, Aug 6, 2012.

1. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    Hi.

I've just started work on a new bass, e-c 5 string. The sound of the instrument should be airy, woody and acoustic-like (reminiscent of a classical guitar) as possible as it gets with magnetic system only. Labella tapewound strings, smallest frets, passive.

I'll use 2 pups, both a bit closer to the neck than on JB. They will be custom made ceramics, i'm just not sure, whether to go with S or HB. In the past i've heard nice, organic, 'acoustic' sound from both.

Thanks for any thoughts.

all the best,
    mike

2. My only experience with HB's on a bass is with my Epi Les Paul bass. But the sounds are very woody and dark although not necessarily acoustic. The tones do feel a bit more organic and well rounded than my single coil jazzes.

I would personally go with HB's for a full, thick, warm tone.

3. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    thanks. usually i prefer HBs also, but i was a little afraid of losing a clarity (i have to preserve some of it since tapewounds and wooden bridge will act against that). i may end up with HB at the bridge and some sharper sounding, lower output tiled p-type (in soapabar casing) at the neck (to balance 'boom' character of that string spot).

4. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    I find that playing technique is the biggest contributor to getting the kind of sound you describe. I can get something like that with a single coil Jazz pickup, a P-bass pickup, or a humbucker.

That said, though, I find it a lot easier with a low-gain setup (lower output vintage-voiced pickups, amp gain set low, no distortion pedals, etc.). Also, I find it a lot easier to achieve using a neck or middle pickup than a bridge pickup.