1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

S/P + Blend for Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Stole this off of a zombie post.... is this what I think it is? It seems to be a wiring schematic for a Jazz Bass that provides Series/Parallel capability as well as a blend control.... I was hoping that one of these is a push-pull pot, too. (If this was your diagram, please say so, so I can give credit where credit is due.)

WIRING SCHEMATIC 4 MM OLP.

2. That's my diagram. It is for VBT with a push/pull series/parallel switch. It ONLY works with an M/N taper blend.

3. Great! So what does the "M/N" stand for?

4. I don't think it stands for anything. M and N are just the names given to the particular tapers of each gang of the pot. In contrast to M/N, there is A/C. Standard "single" pots can be A, B, or C.

5. See, THIS is why electronics and I don't get along... there's a "secret handshake/code name" for everything!.... :-D

Torrente Cro likes this.
  6. That should be the right part. It says M/N.

For the tone pot, you want an audio taper. (Generally called "A" taper.)
    For the volume pot, you can use either audio, or linear. (Generally called "B" taper.) Preferences vary, and people like to debate over it, but I'm in the linear taper camp. Linear taper volume pots tend to be much smoother. On the other hand, audio taper is traditional, and probably easier to source.

7. And nothing special or strange for the tone? I could use what's already in the bass probably?