1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

S/S vs. Tube Pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by no-logic, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ampeg in particular. Never having owned a Ampeg with a tube pre I am considering upgrading my B2R to a SVTIII Pro. I am a little concerned that I may lose that punch and drive that the B2R gives me. What exactly does the tube pre add? Or more specific, what is lost if anything. Has anyone gone to the SVTIII Pro from a B2R and are glad they made the change?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Punch? Drive? With a B2R?!? :eyebrow:

3. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    haha this quote says it all dude... :p I dont know many people who would take solid state over tube... Well, except for a few of my lazy friends that think the tubes have to be replaced every other week... You will gain so much tone and versatility with the svt3....And theres plenty of punch in those tubes to rip your skin off... :bassist: The only way i can describe a tube pre-amp is BUTTER.... Pure BUTTER.... :D

4. Absolutely. It cuts through the mix better than my recently acquired GBE600. I EQ'ed that GB every which way but loose last night and couldn't get an acceptable sound to save my butt. Maybe it's just the Ampeg drive? Maybe it's the solid state sound? Does that make me a bad person?:confused: :meh: :help:

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you want tube sound, most all the "tube sound" you can get from a preamp. But you better go listen because many preamps over emphasize the tube characteristics on purpose. (the ones I've heard)

6. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Care to elaborate?

7. I'd upgrade.

This thing will lay you out if you boost the mids.

8. Here we go again... :rolleyes:

Get ready for several vague and unfactual posts about the inferiority of tubes coupled with ringing endrsements for DSP modelled amps that don't exist. For anyone who's not familiar with Seamonkey, take his "suggestions" with a SERIOUS grain of salt.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Once again, [​IMG]

Tube sound comes from a combination of both preamp tubes AND power tubes. In fact, many tube amps don't sound very tube-like at all at low volume, and don't open up until you crank them.

I agree with PBG, seamonkey is full of [​IMG]

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

+1

11. I use an Ampeg SVT 4 which has a tube pre. I love it. The built in compressor is very simple but is really great. I think the SVT 3 has the compressor feature. Having a tube pre-amp is a little more maintenance, but it also gives you some tonal flexibility. I replaced the original 3 Chinese tubes with Russian EH12ax7s and it was a great tone change.

12. +1

P.S., I went to the site Brineshrimp posted, and they talk about such elaborate things such as "mental masterb*tion":rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. I heard a quote that SS is for lab use, and tubes are for real muscians.

What looks good on paper, doesn't sound so great in a live setting.

14. Yeah...

The funny thing is that I use a GK 800RB for practice, and I'm always trying to get it to sound like my Mesa Bass 400 - it breaks up nicely for an S.S. amp.....

I just heard the first example of it's recorded tone, and it still has nothing on the Mesa...:meh:

15. yea maybe power, but for volume... tube wins, by far. Power doesnt mean a thing without volume

700watt SS < 200watt all Tube

16. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    For the record, I've heard some sweet sounding SS Preamps. However, I dont believe that the B2R preamp would ever compare to a BMax or RBI.

Since the B2R and 3Pro are in every Guitar Center from Boston to Bangkok, I'm sure you could A/B the two through the same cabinet and judge for yourself.

I honestly think tubes play a much more of a role in musical distortion when implemented in a power amp.

17. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Overall design and build quality will make more difference than an automatic tube vs solid state argument. GK solid state amps sound better than some cheaper tube pre's (in my opinion). This disclaimer asside, the specific question relating to Ampeg: do the upgrade. Tube's in that pre make a huge difference. Warmer, fatter, more complex, better presence, and no loss of punch (again, in my opinion).

18. Tell 'em Psycho...

And, just so I'm not labeled a "tube snob", I actually like my old GK 800RB a lot.... it reminds me of Tech 21 in the way that it comes the closest to giving me a "tube like" sound without a tube...

...but there is a difference between a replica(nice analog clipping, or a tube pre-amp), and the real thing(100% tube/power and pre),

......which is why Psycho is making someone look like fishbait on here.:D

19. I've got another funny one along those lines. My Fender M-80 preamp is entirely solid state, and it ... gasp... sounds... GOOD!!! (Especially feeding my Aguilar DB728 tube poweramp! :smug: ;) )

20. I could. But the true test is a live band setting. I've tried other amps, i.e. Eden, Genz Benz, at home and they sound great. But put them in a live performance and it's a different story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.