1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

S**t Happens (NBD)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ghook, Nov 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    alembicbones likes this.
  2. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US

Actually I want an unmarked fretboard when I get around to one. My intent was as much for hand muscle memory as for the seamless sound they produce. I still see myself getting the cheapie Rogue Fretless.

bearfoot and Old Blastard like this.
  3. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    I agree. Of my 4 fretless basses, one is lined. Weird as it may seem... seeing the lines subconsciously makes me play it a little different than the others.

Old Blastard likes this.
  4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Braggart. But what happened with the basses?

:D

5. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    So the new 100s have black pickguards instead of tort, or just the white ones?

It's not a pretty tort, I will admit.

6. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    I have TMB301 and I don't care what anyone says, that's a whole lotta bass in that serious for barely any coin

7. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I have been eyeing the Rouge fretless also, and a few others.
    With tons of expert help , I designed/built a 20" scale fretless u-bass. No lines on that, and the 20" scale is a very natural fit in the hand. I have no problem intonating on an upright either. But with both of these, the main caveat is - the first couple positions. Beyond that, as I move up, and the tolerances decrease, it becomes more of a novelty to try and play.

I recommended the lined board because a significant number of the fretless masters swear by them, while at the same time their technique is fairly peerless. I think that the majority of fretless beginners who get an unlined board never make much progress, and quit. But I don't think that's you - bass on !

I'll probably get a lined board myself, to assist with my muscle memory in the upper areas. I guess I've done most of my playing at around the 9th fret and under - the muscle memory doesn't lie ! :)

8. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    You might be right on lined vs unlined. I will know very quickly if a Fretless is even in the cards, I think an unlined one ( @ $109 mind you) will answer that quickly. I'm an old guy who will put in little time with anything if the learning curve is to steep and I'm not feeling passionate about the activity. Fretless basses are cool but not required lol

9. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Have you seen this teacher before? Tons of free lessons out there. I found this video useful to my plunking around on the U-bass.

12BitSlab likes this.
  10. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Wait, I am confused. You brought the young lady home or the bass? Either way :thumbsup:

11. Sean89sl

Sean89sl

Dec 19, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I've own and play my TMB100 for about 1 and half year, and my way to not overdriven the amp is, dial in only between 30% to 50% of the onboard volume with small practice amp, 50% to 70% onboard volume for rehearsal and gig rig.

12. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Have you used effects? I have a ZoomB1oN that doesn't work with the TMB. I assume it's a conflict passing the active EQ signal through an active effects pedal. I am dialed in on volume, balance and actually add a pinch of treble to keep my practice amp from distorting. Fact is, dry input, the guitar sounds great...minor adjustments make big tonal differences. Great bass, amazing for the price.

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Fretless is hard enough to play on a well made instrument; I think avoiding the Rogue (even unintentionally) may have been a good move.

I do disagree with the advice to get a lined fretless - most of those are harder to play well, as the lines interrupt what would otherwise be a smooth continuous surface, which is VERY important in a fretless.

14. Sean89sl

Sean89sl

Dec 19, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Yes, I do use EHX Big Muff Pi and EHX Qtron and they work fine. Also used Hartke BA2 before with no problem.
    Is your Zoom B1on working fine with other basses?

Ghook likes this.
  15. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Yeah it is. I have a Hofner Ignition BB and Hofner Travel Bass, I have not tried it with my Yamaha yet. It may be my volume setting on the TMB. I will try it again. That Zoom pedal for $60 is a great value, if not for the drum tracks and looper alone.