S.U.B.'s: Basses of the decade???????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scatman, Mar 26, 2005.

1. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Sorry for another Musicman post, but with all the raves about the SUB's (construction, sound, finish, economical price, etc), the new Musicmans may be the most well-made, well liked basses in years.

I've been playing nonstop with my SUB 4 for the past 2 weeks (Fender black nylon strings), and the sound is, in the words of a fellow musician, "mad ill"!!!!!!!

Anyway, let's discuss the SUB's legacy (I don't think we've talked from that angle, yet!).
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    most well made well liked? uh ok. :eyebrow:
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't think they're the basses of the decade - IMO the SX's are...
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    plenty before it, plenty after it IMO....

I played a couple last summer. A/Bed OLP, S.U.B., Bongo and SR5... If I was gonna by a passive Ray, I'd get the OLP, Great bang for the buck. The Bongos owned but one specific SR5 would have came home if I was buying... it just felt right. I was at the GC to help my ex singer pick out a PA.

I'm waiting on the Tony Levin Sig OLP. I'm buying one of them for sure :bassist:
  5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'll probably get pelted with garbage, but I don't think they are all that hot. Those I have handled, the pots were sticky and cheap feeling. Over priced in my opinion.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love my SUB5 but I don't there is best when it comes to basses. There is just the best for you. :bassist:
  7. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    IMO when I played a S.U.B for the first time in GC I was thinking of how much it lacks the quality of MM's other basses , and it played...OK... Nothing special in my oppinion but for the price its not tooooooo Shaby......Definately not the bass of the decade
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont see anything the SUB has over regular stingrays/sterlings, ah yes thats because it doesnt really have anything..

Yes its a good buy for a good price and its good if you want the tone and dont wanna shell out the cash, but thats about it. Would i recommend it against most other stuff in the price range? Sure.
  9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Tributes are the bass of the decade. Discuss. :p
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Disagree there also. I dont think a budget bass can ever be the bass of the decade but thats just me.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    They are alot less common, but Lakland Skylines might be considered basses of the decade if one is just looking at budget basses. In fact, given the prices of Skylines, I don't know if budget is the right word for them.
  12. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Isn't subjectivity great? :rolleyes:
  13. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Yeah, not really budget... except for the 55-01 I guess.
  14. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I have never played a SUB but have heard alot of good things about their sound and solid construction. Less good things about playability ( apparently a larger neck than other basses). I will definitely have to play one to see if it suits me.
  15. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    The SUB I have is active. Sorry, bro, but I gotta stay away from the OLP.
  16. Fender is the bass of every decade. Sorry, it's a fact.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The SUB and other Stingray derived designs are just as much "Fender basses" as anything that the Fender corporation makes since both owe their origin to Leo Fender. The same goes for G&L.
  18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I confirm all this.

Specifically with the SUB 5, it has that "classic" StingRay sound the SR5 does not exactly have.
    Just one thing, I wish it had a mid control.

But yes, the SUB is a great bang for the buck.

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No truer words have ever been spoken. The SUB 5 sounds exactly like a two band Stingray. It absolutely nails the Stingray slap sound. The SUB 5 also gets very close to a P bass sort of tone with the treble turned down. It also helps to play with the pads of one's fingers to avoid a "clicky" sound when going for a more mellow tone on the SUB.