S.U.B. vs Carvin LB70

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Jun 18, 2003.

1. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    both are good name basses,so it boils down to what sound you want,like,need,style music you play,finger or pick style ETC.its hard toi recommend a bass to someone without knowing this IMPORTANT info. for me i would'nt buy a bass just because others validated or recommended it.as long as i know that the brand of the bass i wanted was reliable,i would get the one that I wanted or needed ,not what others want/need. music comes from with-in,our instruments are but vessels to communicate the language of music to others.so its not all the basses resposibility to convey or music,but its merely a means of travel.in other words get what you like,both your options are good brands so you will not end up with a piece of rubbish no matter which one you select.:bassist: GOOD LUCK
  2. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I'm partial to the Musicman. I just played one with active electronics and then plugged in a StingRay. They sounded exact. I found a guy at riksmusic who has the SUB for $100 less than everyone else. Do a google search for them.
  3. The sub's sound is DEFINITELY not as defined as thr Stingray, and it's tone is not the greatest compared to a Stingray. But for $600, it's certainly a GREAT bass. The SR is like twice as much, so it's going to be a better bass, but this is still one great buy. Of course, you have to like the SR sound, but that's how it goes.
  4. I think it would depend on what style of music you play. I recently played a SUB at GC and I was pretty impressed by it, and I'm pretty picky. For rock or if your a slapper I'd say SUB all the way. For jazz or latin I'd say Carvin. I'm not a huge Carvin fan because I don't think their pick-ups are anywhere near as good as their basses deserve. This is a small upgrade that would make a huge difference.
    Good luck and happy hunting.
  5. Yeah for $600, this MIA bass is a steal!