Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

S.U.B vs Geddy vs 55-01 !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    All just about the same price.........Which bass is the best bang for the buck? THE ULTIMATE BASS BATTLE!!!

2. I've had a Geddy & have played a SUB....never played a 55-01.
    I'd go with the SUB as long as it's the active one.

3. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I say disqualify the Geddy right off the bat. On the grounds that, well, it stinks :spit:

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    All of these are different enough that a person could own two of them or maybe all three. I personally like the SUB, but I could see having the Geddy because it is a great jazz. Others wouldprefer the 55-01 and the Geddy.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I played a SUB and it just sorta' "layed there" for me. Just not my tone.

I totally love my Geddy, but I'm not sure it'd be as versatile as the Lakland. I have a 55-02 I totally love, but the '01's are real different. I played one in a store once, and it sorta' "layed there" as well, but given Laklands' rep, and my experiences with my 02, I'd maybe give it another shot with better strings.

The Geddy just leaped out, grabbed me by the throat and said "BUY ME"... so I did. The tone and playability were and continue to be excellent. My very favorite Fender J so far (of many, including US models both Dlx's and non). :)

Thing is, they're all good basses in that price range, I'd say play'em all as much as possible and buy "the one."

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't care for the SUB, based on the ones I have played.
    Love my Geddy Lee. I also love my 55-01.

If I could only have one of them, it would be tough, but the 55-01 would be the keeper. First, because it is a 5 string, and second, because it is more versatile tonally than the Geddy.

I am glad I don't have to choose.:)

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Got a SUB and a Geddy... and played a 55-01....

I'd say the Geddy rules....! :bassist:

8. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've got a 55-01 that I really like. I'm not super fond of the thin Geddy neck and can't warm up to passive Jazz basses. The 55-01 seems to fall somewhere between a Pbass and a Jazz, IMO. But I think I like it most because it's so comfortable to play compared to all the Fenders I'm accustomed to.

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1