Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

S.U.B. vs Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by laklandplayer, Jun 10, 2003.

1. I recently became aware of the Musicman SUB bass.. I guess Ernie Ball got tired of Lakland squarely kicking their asses with the Skyline Series.

I know a dealer who has about 12 Stingrays that have been rotting on his rack for months since the Skylines came out... He can't move them anymore.

I think the Skylines have put a dent in Stingray sales and the SUB is their answer.. well sort of.

It still doesn't add up, if you add an active preamp to the SUB it's cost falls in line with a Skyline.. not to mention all of the options available with the Laklands (maple or rswd boards, fretless, colors, figured tops) that the SUB doesn't offer. And to boot MM doesn't even offer a SUB 5.

I feel that MM is missing the mark with their basses these days.. First, you have this ugly Bongo bass and now the SUB. Don't forget their really low end OLP models which I would not asociate my name with if I were them.

They should just refine their exisitng models.. like offer a 35" scale, some pickup options, etc. instead of launching models that are still one step behind the instrument evolution curve. They need to give the old Stingray girl a makeover.

I think Ernie Ball could have executed a much better plan to enter the mid level bass market. There are too many basses that offer better value and sound than the SUB. Even these new Cort models look promising.

I don't think "Made In The USA" is enough to make the SUB a success.

Bass players are a pretty open minded bunch. Generally, they don't care where a bass is made or who's name is on it as long as it plays good, sounds good and has good dealer / manufacturer support.

I really like Music Man (I own 2 Stingray 5's). But, I think that they rested on their laurels a little bit too long and now are trying to play catch-up.

I hope they can get on track with their line again.. it is a good brand and Leo's legacy.

2. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001
    Kentucky
    That is a pretty sweeping analysis from a visit to one music store. The two Ernie Ball dealers in my area are selling the SUBs pretty briskly, can't keep Sterlings in stock, and have a pretty healthy rate of sale on everything StingRay except the sparkle finishes.
    I guess I could generalize from that and say that Lakland will be out of business in about six months...
    But that would be silly. I guess I understand your post to some extent and agree that EB/MM is producing the SUB to do the same thing every other company has done... offer a bass at a lower price point to get a share of the introductory level player market.
    Smart move if you ask me, and reflects the nature of the current game.
    But to insinuate the EB/MM is in some sort of trouble is just rumor-mongering, I think. Hope not to have offended you, just offering a counterpoint.

3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    <b>"It still doesn't add up, if you add an active preamp to the SUB it's cost falls in line with a Skyline"</b>

Really??? I haven't seen too many Skylines for $695? Is that how much they go for now??

<b>"Don't forget their really low end OLP models which I would not asociate my name with if I were them."</b>

They don't. OLP stands for "Officially Liscensed Product" meaning another company was given permission to use MM trademarks.

<b>"They should just refine their exisitng models.. like offer a 35" scale, some pickup options, etc. instead of launching models that are still one step behind the instrument evolution curve. They need to give the old Stingray girl a makeover."</b>

Like Ric and Fender MM Basses are pretty much tried and true. Fender hasn't had much success reworking their classics and I doubt Ernie Ball would. The Stingray 5 is a must for many 5 string players even without a 35" scale. No to mention you are calling anyone that doesn't use a 35" scale dinosaurs. I think many would disagree. Kudos to MM for trying a new style (Bongo) even though it's ugly as sin!!

<b>"I don't think "Made In The USA" is enough to make the SUB a success. "</b>

I think it will make more of a difference than you think!

<b>"But, I think that they rested on their laurels a little bit too long and now are trying to play catch-up." </b>

I think they could rest on their laurels for the rest of their days and never have to play catch up!! People are still buying SCPB Fenders and people will always buy Stingrays.

I'm curious what your opinion of Rics is!! Pretty much one style of bass for the longest time!!

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm, I see all this a tad differently.

I see the SUB as a shot at the same market as the Fender Highway 1 series or the Gibson "faded" guitars - a primo US made instrument with a lot less time and effort spent on the finish. Kinda like a Parkerized .45 instead of high-polish blue!

I really don't see the Skyline and the SUB as competition for each other - totally different markets, IMO.

And I *like* the look of the BongBass, and would readily consider buying one if the fit and sound were right! (I like Parkers, too.) Anything is better than another one of those Thalidomide-influenced single cut boutique basses! ;)

5. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    How about just bringin the Sabre back. Wait did someone in this thread already say that?

6. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Reading all of the posts about the MusicMan SUB, I will say this:

I am dying to try playing the bass. What has deterred me from the Stingray has been the price. I normally don't buy basses over $1,000, and find me ANY Stingray (used or new) under that price.

Ernie Ball had to get something in the under G range, and passive. And it's about time! Made in USA is a very good seller!!!! Peace.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Brind back the Sabre, Now your talking!!!

8. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, I just bought my Skyline 55-01 off of musiciansfriend for $699.00 flat with no shipping charges...

Also, I played a SUB and was not very impressed. It was lacking (of course) compared to the stingray- it just didn't have the bite. Also, my arm kept on slipping off of it.