1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

S VM J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by w33nie, Sep 21, 2008.

1. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    How does the VM jazz compare to MIM, or even MIA? Hardware, electronics, finish, etc.

Would it make sense to buy one and change anything that sucks instead of getting a MIA or MIM (especially since used ones go for less than a new VM) or CIJ etc

one last question, people here say the pick ups are good, how do they compare to the stock pick ups in a MIM? American pups will probably be better

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    It definitely is a cut below any of the other Fender lines, (MIM, CIJ, MIA), as far as build quality, fit and finish, electronics, and all that. There is a reason for the lower price point. That being said, IMO/IME the Squier VMs far surpass what Squier was putting out just a short time ago, and I believe that they are an excellent value...

As far as would it make sense to buy VM rather than another line, it all depends on your motivation... If you are looking to take a bass, upgrade it into a player that you will keep in the long run and never expect to sell it for "the value of what you have into it", then I'd say yes... If you're looking to flip this as a 'Squier with upgrades' and hoping to get some ducketts out of it, then no...

The VMs are very playable basses, and IMO can be gigged as is... I just recently acquired a refinished VM P, and while there are a few things I am changing, these are more to my preference rather than necessities. It is fine as it sits, and will more than likely see some stage time today as a matter of fact!

-robert

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Tuners look to be a cheaper coated metal. Bridge doesn't need to be upgraded, but it wouldn't hurt. Output and tone is nice. Be careful, I have heard from more than one Fender dealer about 10% (Yes 1 in 10) have neck issues out of the box.

4. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    That's all I want to do, thanks

about the neck, i heard they don't have that thick glossy finish on the back, which is good. is that true?

and what exactly is lower quality than MIM?

5. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I have played VM's that were better than alot of MIM's, sound- and feelwise

6. My VM j plays and sounds better than many MIM and MIA jazzes i have tried in local stores...i love that thing

7. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    VMs are way better than MIMs IMO, mainly because of the pups, and the quality of the necks

8. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    My Squire VM J is great for the price, but my particular instrument doesn't have the attention to detail that I'd expect from an MIA. My '06 MIA DLX, for example, has better neck pocket/neck fit and can set it up for lower playing action. The Squire VM J is also very bright-sounding (for me).

On the flipside, it sounds more open than my MIM fivers and the neck profile is great if you like smaller necks, and hey, I paid a whole $219.00 for it. It is also a great looking bass.

A bit off-topic, the Squire V deluxe build quality does seem equal or better to MIM V's, but I prefer the tone of the MIM V.

9. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    Cool, I played a few MIM P's that felt so so

I think i'll get one and install a Gotoh bridge, maybe an audere pre amp and use that for a long time

10. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    That comes down solely to personal preference. Some people like a nice finish on a neck; others don't.

Back in the day, used to be the first thing I did with a new guitar or bass was sand the finish off the back of the neck.

Nowadays, I find I like the finish there. Go figure.

I've played three VM Jazzes and one VM Telebass. I thought the Jazzes sounded great. The Telebass was too muddy for me, but it was definitely deep. Some people would like it I'm sure, but I thought it was a one trick pony and I wasn't real crazy about the trick.

Even though they sounded good (at least the Jazzes) and seemed solidly built, I personally hated the necks on all of them. I describe them as feeling mushy like balsa wood. Best description I can think of. Not to my tastes. Others may love that about them.

I will say one more thing about the necks of the VMs though--one of the J-basses developed worsening neck bow and twist and the shop had to send it back. Another one was beginning to have the same problem but a tech at the store was trying to battle it. (I moved from the area so I don't know if they managed a fix on it.)

At any rate, I've played a lot of really good Squiers, but bear in mind that out of four VMs I played, two of them had real neck trouble, and one of them was hopeless.

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Granted... I was stating as to the build quality and electronics as cost-savings locations... Really, a pot is a pot is a pot for the most part, but the pots and wiring in a VM, while functional, are in fact lower cost than what you'll find in an MIM or MIA... Will they work as designed? Absolutely!! They're also a quick, cheap upgrade that makes sense to perform if for nothing else, for the peace-of-mind of knowing that they're up to snuff...

When I buy a used car, first thing that I do is check/change all of the belts and radiator hoses, (and usually new tires, but not necessarily)... Gives me a feel for the car as well as a knowledge that those components aren't gonna surprise me...

Don't get me wrong... I'm diggin' my VM P, but to say it's on a par with my MIA or my '51 RI is pure fantasy... Doesn't take away from the VM at all, as I've paid significantly less for it. Also doesn't make it any less fun to play, as it is truly a blast. Also, I put about an hour into it setting it up how I like... Now, I'll concede that currently, it does indeed play better than many 'better' basses in my local GC... However, with a proper setup to suit me, many of those basses would be superior...

Seriously, I am not dogging the Squier's... I own one and am growing to love it... For the money, they're a fantastic deal, look great, play and sound great...

-robert

12. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    I'm pretty set on it, the only thing that might change my mind is a musicman