S1 Fender American Jazz pot modifications...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cúl-Báire, May 22, 2005.

1. Howdy, Howdy...

I am the very happy owner of a 2005 Fender American Jazz bass, which I have had for a little over a month. Anyways I am planning on changing the pickgaurd to a different color (red/copper) and I was looknig at changing the knobs to stew-mac silver dome knobs with aboloni inlays as well to replace the Fender plastic ones.

The other Day whilest jamming I figured the Jazz bass sound was good for one part of a certain song (the drum / bass solo) and the P bass sound was sounding great in another (the rest of the song, I'm not a user of effects)- Now using other knobs would effectively disable the S1 switch.

So, I am wondering, would it be easy to change the wiring, so the S1 switch / Knob uses a sepperate (baseball bat) type toggle switch for the S1, and still use that pot as volume?

This would allow me to have both sounds switchable- and make it easier to activete and disable during a song.

Any Ideas?
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I think you could do this, because the S-1 is just a series/parallel switch, which can be done in a variety of ways. I guess the advantage of the S-1 is that it doesn't require a non-standard pickguard or knob plate.

I have a 2003 S-1 Jazz, and I've also been interested in changing to metal knobs. The solution might be to order a volume knob from an S-1 Precision bass, if possible. Those are knurled metal. They don't have dome tops, but you could attach one.

Or, maybe the S-1 could be converted easily to a pull-up knob, with which you could use anything.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You just need a DPST switch, I would think. Then you just wire it exactly like it is on the switch of the pot.