Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

S1 Fender American Jazz pot modifications...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cúl-Báire, May 22, 2005.

1. Howdy, Howdy...

I am the very happy owner of a 2005 Fender American Jazz bass, which I have had for a little over a month. Anyways I am planning on changing the pickgaurd to a different color (red/copper) and I was looknig at changing the knobs to stew-mac silver dome knobs with aboloni inlays as well to replace the Fender plastic ones.

The other Day whilest jamming I figured the Jazz bass sound was good for one part of a certain song (the drum / bass solo) and the P bass sound was sounding great in another (the rest of the song, I'm not a user of effects)- Now using other knobs would effectively disable the S1 switch.

So, I am wondering, would it be easy to change the wiring, so the S1 switch / Knob uses a sepperate (baseball bat) type toggle switch for the S1, and still use that pot as volume?

This would allow me to have both sounds switchable- and make it easier to activete and disable during a song.

Any Ideas?

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think you could do this, because the S-1 is just a series/parallel switch, which can be done in a variety of ways. I guess the advantage of the S-1 is that it doesn't require a non-standard pickguard or knob plate.

I have a 2003 S-1 Jazz, and I've also been interested in changing to metal knobs. The solution might be to order a volume knob from an S-1 Precision bass, if possible. Those are knurled metal. They don't have dome tops, but you could attach one.

Or, maybe the S-1 could be converted easily to a pull-up knob, with which you could use anything.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You just need a DPST switch, I would think. Then you just wire it exactly like it is on the switch of the pot.